Looking to get into speed cubing, help me out!

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

Looking to get into speed cubing, help me out!

Postby jimlich » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:41 pm

Hello guys i got my first cube a week ago and i can solve it now in a slow time around 5 minutes. I don't remember the algorithms to solve the cube just the patterns such as flip the whites up remove the top white flip them back down as i find this much easier than remembering algorithms. I realize i will need to remember these algorithms if i want fast times and as i have 8 weeks off school and no sports fixtures as the rugby season is over id really like to learn and get a time of 40 seconds - 1 minute and i was hoping you could point me in the right direction to reach these times for example what videos to watch, how to learn the movements and what is a good cube for me to buy.

Thanks for the help! ;)
jimlich

Re: Looking to get into speed cubing, help me out!

Postby jimlich » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:06 pm

UPDATE: I baught the stickerless Dayan GuHong 3x3x3 speed cube
jimlich

Postby borginator2 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:35 pm

Good cube. Only drawbacks:

1) Doesn't have the anti-popping torpedoes in the Guhong II

2) 6 colour plastic cubes are not competition legal.

I use the Guhong II, black with cubesmith tiles.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby Sharkretriver » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:11 pm

Wow, 5 minutes and you already get a Guhong. That's intense.
You can either buy the Guhong II or the 55mm Zhanchi (which I heard was really awesome), though you'll want to save those cubes for once you reach 20 or 30 seconds, honestly.
Since you're not really at 1 minute yet, I'll just recommend that you learn fingertricks...simple as that. Of course, providing a video of your solve will help but for now I'd just work on fingertricks since they can carry you down to around 1 minute 30. :3
Also, you definitely have time to learn notation. You don't need to go memorizing stuff yet but this will help once you reach around 1 minute. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP3V7Jhvt88

By the way, what method do you use?
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby Zeotor » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Here is one person's opinion.

Sharkretriver wrote:You can either buy the Guhong II or the 55mm Zhanchi (which I heard was really awesome), though you'll want to save those cubes for once you reach 20 or 30 seconds, honestly.

Why do you say that? What do you recommend instead?

The common alternative, a storebought Rubik's brand 3x3, won't allow basic fingertricks to be used, such as turning the U layer with one finger. A DaYan cube, like the ones you mentioned, may be too good (such as with corner cutting and speed). But, something such as a Ghosthand I or II will allow basic fingertricks to be used. Yes, someone could buy Rubik's storebought and lubricate it. However, that person could just spend that money on a slightly better cube, such as a Ghosthand I or II.
Zeotor

Postby isaganiesteron » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:58 am

At your level of 5 min solves, you should really concentrate on your solving. You should really work on look ahead, try solving slower and try not to go as fast as you can. This is a common mistake beginners do, they try to go as fast as they can, this hurts your times because you can't really focus on the next pieces that you need to move next. You should also try to move slower so that you can move more smoothly. This allows you to memorize algorithms through muscle memory so instead of concentrating on the current algorithm you are doing, you are looking ahead for the pieces you are going to handle next.

A cube speed cuber can probably solve a crappy cube with beginners method in less then a minute. Hope this helps.
Check out www.bestspeedcube.com and discover the best speed cube for you.
isaganiesteron

Return to Speedcubing