Slow Sticker-less 3x3?

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

Slow Sticker-less 3x3?

Postby zoffmann » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:08 am

So I started solving this Christmas, and I got a stickerless 3x3 RUbik's cube. The problem is its kinda stiff and bumpy, and a friend of mine bought the same model and it's much faster. I really dont know how to break it apart so I dont know how lube it, and what to do it with. Do you guys know how to make it a bit faster?
Thank you
zoffmann

Re: Slow Sticker-less 3x3?

Postby Zeotor » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:42 am

Aside from lubricating it, one thing you can do is tension it. This is most likely possible with your puzzle. The center pieces will have caps on them. You can take them off and loosen the screws that are underneath.

To take apart the 3x3, turn one layer forty-five degrees (half of a turn) and take out an edge piece. You can see how to do that in this video from 1:15 to 1:25. After the edge is out, you should be able to easily take apart the rest of the puzzle.

Before you lubricate it, clean out any dust that is in the cube. You can do that with a paper towel or something similar. Doing this first will help the lubricant have more of a positive effect.
Zeotor

Postby zoffmann » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:22 pm

Zeotor wrote:Aside from lubricating it, one thing you can do is tension it. This is most likely possible with your puzzle. The center pieces will have caps on them. You can take them off and loosen the screws that are underneath.

To take apart the 3x3, turn one layer forty-five degrees (half of a turn) and take out an edge piece. You can see how to do that in this video from 1:15 to 1:25. After the edge is out, you should be able to easily take apart the rest of the puzzle.

Before you lubricate it, clean out any dust that is in the cube. You can do that with a paper towel or something similar. Doing this first will help the lubricant have more of a positive effect.

I really appreciate the response, but I can't seem to be able to take the caps off the center pieces! I tried with a knife.
zoffmann

Postby Zeotor » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:33 am

zoffmann wrote:[...]I can't seem to be able to take the caps off the center pieces!

It may not be possible with your 3x3. Do you know what brand the puzzle is?

You can lube it without taking it apart. You can see one way of doing it in this video. That link will take you to the appropriate part of the video.
Zeotor

Return to Speedcubing