Started cubing and dismayed at timing.

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

Started cubing and dismayed at timing.

Postby stjianqing » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:22 am

I bought a cube two weeks ago and learn a solution from Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQIoPyfQzM. (What method is that?)

I clocked a timing of 4min 43sec upon memorizing the solution. Arriving at this website, I saw...many people under a minute. How is that possible?!? I tried and tried again and my latest best timing is 1min 53sec. I averaged 2min. How do I speed up?

Any shortcuts?
stjianqing

Re: Started cubing and dismayed at timing.

Postby ephraimkunz » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:06 am

That method is one version of the LBL (layer by layer) method. I used to not be able to break 2 minutes, but I kept practicing, lubed my cube, and used finger tricks so now I can do it in 1:08 average. Good luck and welcome to the Rubik's Cubing community.
ephraimkunz

Postby sagrsccr » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:18 pm

I can easily average sub 50 with that method as the last layer is very inefficient... Practice... or start on intuitive F2L, 2 look OLL and 2 look PLL.. that method works well for beginners and takes a while to get faster with but it's rewarding... sub 40 averages are easy and sub 30 averages are definitely possible... sub 20 averages take practice but are attainable.
sagrsccr

Postby rubixcuber » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:52 pm

I learned from that video too.

I think its called the beginners method... or is it...?

anyways learn finger tricks if you didnt.

then you can sub 1 min.

rubixcuber

Postby teeheeheezee » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:48 am

I was also dismayed when I started out solving the rubik's cube. I think that the best way to shorten your solving time is to learn fingertricks that allowyou to perform algorithms faster. If you want to become even more dedicated and get faster times, I suggest learning all of the OLL and PLL algorithms. Good luck with shortening your times, and dont get disouraged, just practice!
teeheeheezee

Return to Speedcubing