Born With it or Just Practice?

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

Born With it or Just Practice?

Postby Rubik Cubic » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:20 pm

I've seen many kids on youtube, around eight and under, who can solve the cube in less than a minute. So can I, but that 's not important. I saw a six year old girl who had an average of like 15 seconds. I was wondering how she got that good. That's where my question comes in, did she spend most of her childhood playing with a rubik's cube, or was she just born being good at it and didn't need to waste her childhood doing the rubik's cube and didn't have to do it that much. The scarriest part is this three year old girl that has some sick finger tricks. Anyway, for all the people who can solve under twenty seconds, how good were you when you started? Were your finger tricks good?
Rubik Cubic

Re: Born With it or Just Practice?

Postby Ignorancepersonified » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:34 pm

It is the same as everything else in the world. Some people have alot of talent in certain areas, others have alot of interest in some areas, and then those who are super good have alot of talent and interest at the same time. If you have a quick mind, agile fingers, and fast reflexes, you will accomplish alot more with practice than someone who doesn't have those innate talents.
Ignorancepersonified

Postby Rubik Cubic » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:29 pm

Thanks, now that I think of it, I got a lot better in the last months, because I practiced a lot.

When you say agile fingers, is it something you develop. I mean of course you don't know all those finger tricks by the first time you pick up a cube, but would it be possible to get your fingers faster. I watch many videos on youtube and even though I'm faster than many people, I find their fingers move faster. I don't know it it's a mental thing, but they always seem faster then me. When you guys started out, did your fingers eventually get faster, I mean making a big difference, or did they just basically stay the same speed?

Rubik Cubic

Postby Ignorancepersonified » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:23 pm

No, you don't understand, if you practice, you improve, you make the most of the talent you are born with. But I am saying that some people actually have different talents than others, like say two guys go to the gym and workout to get strong, but one is naturally super strong to begin with and the other is super weak, well, they will both get stronger and both be better off for putting time in the gym to improve themselves, but the naturally strong guy will be moving alot more weight than the naturally very weak guy, because that is one of his lucky talents. We aren't all wired up exactly the same, we don't all have the exact same potential, but yes, if you practice alot, you will improve vastly over where you were to begin with.
Ignorancepersonified

Postby Oogliod Knacktid » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:52 am

I was pretty slow to begin with... I couldn't turn a side without using my whole hand to turn it. I think you get the hang of it, but some natural talent wouldn't go astray. I certainly did, being able to turn a side with one finger. If you go up to a non-cuber, they won't get it, they can only imagine using a whole hand to turn the side. But if they did it for a while, well then, they could go very far.
Oogliod Knacktid

Postby sagrsccr » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:00 am

I started out with being happy with sub-2 solves with the beginner method... I worked at it and i got it down to a minute within 2 weeks... After that I learned 2 look PLL and I averaged around 40 seconds. It took practice but I learned the PLL's and 2 look OLL as well as some F2L tricks and I averaged 35 seconds....with some practice, and the same method, I now average 23 seconds. I am working on my lookahead and will definitely average sub 20 very soon. Practice is everything. Look at videos of Dan Knights solve the cube. He turns each side with his wrist (wristing) and still averages sub 20 and gets around 14 second times. How? Because he practiced.

Btw oogloid... do you have an sn for AIM? It'd be easier to talk there.
sagrsccr

Postby rubik's god » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:51 am

rubik's god

Postby rubixcuber » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:34 pm

Your fingers don't get faster... Your fingers just stay there and push.

Like what Ingnorancepersonfied said, practice practice and practice.

and make sure your hands are warm and you are 100% awake before you try to get a good record on the cube...

rubixcuber

Postby sagrsccr » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:37 pm

haha..so you mean to tell me that your twisting hasn't gotten faster? that's like saying that you don't get better at math as you do it more often...all your brain is doing is crunching the number rite?  practice is key but speed with twisting will come as well...
sagrsccr

Postby Rubik Cubic » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:48 pm

I'm starting to think about all of this and am finding many different reasons why I'm not turning the cube as fast as others.

1. My cube is not lubed and therefore is harder to turn.

2. My cube ends up having plastic dust on the inside because I play with it so much and that slows it down.

3. After having done the cube about 25 times, my fingers naturally get tired.

I have started seing a big improvement in my finger speed lately. The thing with warming up your hands really works! Besides that, it's pretty funny, but if I leave the dust in my cube, it's pretty hard to turn right. I've done it lately and after looking at my hands, they're huge. I got some pretty big finger muscles and it's a weird muscle to brag about, but it's super cool.

Thanks for all the tips and tricks, and good cubing to everyone!

Rubik Cubic

Rubik Cubic

Next

Return to Speedcubing