How does people do sub-30 or sub-20s timing?

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

How does people do sub-30 or sub-20s timing?

Postby rubiknewbie » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:59 pm

My best is 40+ s or at best high 30s even when everything goes well, like when the algorithms favor me and when I don't stop to think too much. Sub-40 is extremely rare.

I know most of Fridrich's 2 look OLL and PLL algorithms and can solve the cube in average 58 to 70 moves. I do a cross at the top then turn the cube around and do the F2L with 4 sequences then OLL and PLL with 1 sequence each.

I use what I was told was a type-D cube and sometimes spray with silicone release agent but don't seem to turn like what I see in videos, not sure is it the cube or the turning but they feel different and fast!

How can I improve? Sub-20s seem ridiculously fast! I'll be happy with regular 30s or sub-30s!

rubiknewbie

Re: How does people do sub-30 or sub-20s timing?

Postby Doctor The Man From The Moon » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:24 am

Ok, your solving method seems fine to me. However, try perhaps inspecting the cube before timing, and also planning ahead. So when you have identified a case, let your hand do the algorithm, and look around the cube for your next F2L pair, or edge peice.
Also, try finger tricks (if you haven't already), Thrawst has a good video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgr4SbZKF1k.
Finally, try adjusting the screws in your cube (pop of the centre caps, and use a screw driver to adjust the tension).
Hope this helps!
Doctor The Man From The Moon

Postby rubiknewbie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:57 pm

Thanks. I tried loosening the screws until the pieces come out too easily so I am tightening them again. I put some spray on them so they are quite smooth and I should stop blaming the cube for my poor skills.

I think finger tricks and look ahead are the problem, especially the finger tricks. I mean people can do complicated moves in like 1-2 seconds it is so darn difficult and I can't even see how they do it in the videos it is so fast!

rubiknewbie

Postby Doctor The Man From The Moon » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:01 pm

Don't worry, just practice and it will come with time. I remember thinking the same thing a year ago, and now I can do most of those moves!
Just don't give up, keep on trying, even if it feels pathetic. :)
Doctor The Man From The Moon

Postby sagrsccr » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:04 am

Sub 30 seconds took me a good 5-6 months... but that's only because i lost interest for around 2 months in the middle till my friend started challenging my times... then i started working...now, a year later, i'm almost sub 20... i currently average around 22-23 seconds. However I have to memorize a few more algorithms and I should be sub 20.
sagrsccr

Postby rubiknewbie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:41 pm

So what did you improve most to become sub-30? The algorithms or finger-tricks or look ahead.

rubiknewbie

Postby sagrsccr » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:32 am

I learned intuitive F2L, 2 Look OLL and full PLL because it helps. Finger Tricks are very useful as it helps your tps and lookahead was difficult but yes i improved that as well.
sagrsccr

Postby rubiknewbie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:27 am

Thanks. I am currently working on my F2L, doing it without pausing is a challenge.

I realise my weakness is when the corner and edge pieces are not together, that is when I sometimes have to consciously think how to align the pieces before inserting, slowing me down.

When the pieces are together I have a better system of knowing what to do by instinct and can lookahead better. 

I am trying to learn new algorithms of completing these tricky disconnected pieces and it is actually slowing me down but I hope to get more familiar and steal a few algorithms here and there to make it faster.

Finger tricks can come later as I am more concerned about doing it smoothly. It doesn't feel good to pause often to complete the puzzle.

rubiknewbie

Postby rubiknewbie » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:39 pm

The killer is when the middle piece and corner piece are both NOT at the top, as I can't convert it to the basic case (at least I don't know how), and cannot find any place that teaches the optimum way of solving this.

I did find some websites that show shortcut algorithms but those only apply to special situations which are limited. Is it true that if there are no empty slots, then moving the corner to the top is the way to go for middle/corner not at the top cases? What do you normally use?

rubiknewbie

Return to Speedcubing