Lubed da cube, now worse

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

Lubed da cube, now worse

Postby ManSkirtBrew » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:20 am

I'm a pretty new cuber.  Solved it the first time 3 days ago.  My best time so far is 3:05.

So I saw some videos on lubing, and one recommended Vaseline.  The comments below noted using Silicone spray.  I had some silicone lubricant that is the consistency of Vaseline, so I tried that.

Big mistake.  It ended up being like glue.  So I took the whole cube apart and wiped off all the goop.  I reassembled and lubed with the proper silicone spray lubricant.

Problem is, the cube is now a lot tighter than when I started.  It jams very often and seems to stick when starting to turn a face.

Is it possible to assemble a cube incorrectly?  I solved it before disassembly and reassembled it solved.  I've been working it in and trying to cut the corners for a few hours and it's only made a slight difference.

Thanks for any help!

-Joe
ManSkirtBrew

Re: Lubed da cube, now worse

Postby borginator2 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:26 am

Silicone lube comes in a spray can, not a jar.  Disassemble the cube completely.  wash and towel dry, then lightly coat with the can.  make sure it is 100% silicone.  WD40 rots cubes, as does vasseline.

Leave cubies to dry for about 20 mins, then roll them in a dry towel to get rid of most of the excess.  After that it's best to leave them in a dry non-dusty place to dry fully, preferably overnight.

Reassemble, then wipe the outside of the cube until it's clean.  You may get slight traces on your hands after use for the first couple of weeks or so, after that, it'll be fine.

Lubing will not make your cube cut corners.  That's down to the initial tightness of the cube (adjustable on most, not on rubiks storeboughts though), curviness of the cubies (more rounded cubes cut better) and skill of the cuber to guestimate when to turn.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby ManSkirtBrew » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:29 am

Thanks for the reply.  The silicone I ended up using is in a spray can.  Turns out, though, it's not 100% silicone.  Contains petroleum distillate.

I will give the cube a thorough wash and dry then look for the 100% silicone stuff.

Speaking of lube, has anyone experimented with dry lube, like powdered graphite?  Seems like it would be good for this after it stops rubbing off on your hands.

-Joe
ManSkirtBrew

Postby UKSpeedCuber » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:25 am

I would not recommend any form of dry lubricant.
Depending where you live, a brand of silicone spray called Jig-A-Loo is pretty good. You pop out 2 edges on opposite sides of the cubes, couple squirts, reassemble then you need to work the lube in, if you don't work it in, your cubies will fuse together. Keep scrambling and solving it non-stop for about 15 minutes, then your cube should be better... As long as you have cleaned it properly! :D
UKSpeedCuber

Return to Speedcubing