i need to get faster!

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

i need to get faster!

Postby epiccuber123 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:52 pm

as said in the subject tittle i need to get faster. does anyone have any tips on how to memorize alogrithms :?: :?: if you could that would be really helpful, and dont bother talking about how i need diy cubes with adjustable tensions as i already have 2 and dont bother talk about lubes as i already have lubix lube.

thank you very much for your help.
epiccuber123

Re: i need to get faster!

Postby Zeotor » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:30 pm

Here is a link to a good video by badmephisto - http://www.youtube.com/user/badmephisto#p/u/12/0Id44xvrvWo. While the video is specifically about learning the OLLs and PLLs (of the CFOP/Fridrich method), I think it has some good advice on learning algorithms.

Some things mentioned in the video:
The best way to learn an algorithm is to just do it repeatedly for a certain amount of time. You will want to practice it again several hours later.
Don't try to learn more than one or two a day.
Break down the algorithm into parts, and recognize that some sequences of turns reoccur in other algorithms.

(Note: I am not saying that badmephisto is the ultimate authority on cubing and to only follow his advice; I just think that a lot of his tips are helpful.)

One thing to know is that when you learn an algorithm, it needs to be learned by muscle memory. Knowing what moves to do is good, but being able to do it without having to think much can help you look ahead to the next step. Also, I think that it is important to be able to know which algorithm goes with which case. When you see a certain pattern, you should quickly know which algorithm to use.

Hope this helps!
Zeotor

Postby epiccuber123 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Zeotor wrote:Here is a link to a good video by badmephisto - http://www.youtube.com/user/badmephisto#p/u/12/0Id44xvrvWo. While the video is specifically about learning the OLLs and PLLs (of the CFOP/Fridrich method), I think it has some good advice on learning algorithms.

Some things mentioned in the video:
The best way to learn an algorithm is to just do it repeatedly for a certain amount of time. You will want to practice it again several hours later.
Don't try to learn more than one or two a day.
Break down the algorithm into parts, and recognize that some sequences of turns reoccur in other algorithms.

(Note: I am not saying that badmephisto is the ultimate authority on cubing and to only follow his advice; I just think that a lot of his tips are helpful.)

One thing to know is that when you learn an algorithm, it needs to be learned by muscle memory. Knowing what moves to do is good, but being able to do it without having to think much can help you look ahead to the next step. Also, I think that it is important to be able to know which algorithm goes with which case. When you see a certain pattern, you should quickly know which algorithm to use.

Hope this helps!

thanks a lot for the video link :!: ill be sure to watch it after i post this :D here i go on my long journy of speed cubing
epiccuber123

Postby Zeotor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:11 am

No problem. :)
Zeotor

Postby Frank64 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:30 am

Take it easy, i'm also want to get faster because my ouzzle is totally hard to make, i'm gonna ask a friend ( he is very good in this Rubik's Cube's ) to make it. ;)
Frank64

Postby epiccuber123 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:24 pm

Frank64 wrote:Take it easy, i'm also want to get faster because my ouzzle is totally hard to make, i'm gonna ask a friend ( he is very good in this Rubik's Cube's ) to make it. ;)

i know to take it easy but you still need to practice i remember when i made that first post i got it in like a minute but now i can do it in 40 second usually and my record without skips is 37
epiccuber123

Return to Speedcubing