Methods

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

Methods

Postby solverphil » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:22 am

Hi all!
I'm new to the forums for rubiks.com
My record for solving the cube is 27 seconds. I was wondering what advice I can get to solve faster AND if there is a fast way to get a store bought cube smooth that cuts corners well. (I'm using a 6 year old rubik's cube. It's EXTREMLY loose and always pops, but otherwise, it's pretty smooth)
I am currently using combination of Petrus and Fridrich, (cross; 2x2x3 cube; flip bad edges; finish F2L (right turns only); OLL (only 7 to memorise as I already have a cross since i flipped the bad edges :) ); Pll)
What I am wondering is what i should do for the last steps : PLL + OLL
Should I cycle the corner using the R Ui Li U R Ui L U algorithm, then OLL and PLL (after cycling the corners, i only have to solve the edges, so 4 algorithms to learn and I've learned them) or should I go straight to OLL and PLL?
I'm just trying to get a faster time :), cause my average is about 35 seconds.
Also, I am wondering if there are methods that require more thinking then memorising (eg. for the petrus I know the pros can only do like 50 rotations and it doesnt require much memorizing compared to the Fridrich method). I've heard of waterman solution and the <insert name here> solution. (I forget his name, but I know it involves solving a 3x2x1 bloc on one side, then on the other, then solve the edges using middle rotations)
solverphil

Re: Methods

Postby Zeotor » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:47 pm

Welcome to the forum!

As for getting a store-bought cube to turn smooth, you can lubricate it. Some things you can use are 100% silicone spray and Lubix lube, which is made specifically for twisty puzzles. A while ago, borginator2 posted this in a reply relating to silicone spray:

"Disassemble cube and lay out cubies facing away from you.
Spray the core carefully trying to avoid the centre caps.
Spray the cubies with a few light sprays of silicone spray.
Wait 20 minutes.
Roll cubies about loosely inside a towel (I usually spray on the towel so I don't have to touch the cubies moving them.
Open the towel and allow to air dry for a while (pref overnight).
Reassemble cube
Wipe off the excess off the cube."

About the methods, I'm not sure what you are doing to flip the edges but here is a possibly faster option. When solving the last layer using certain layer by layer methods, certain algorithms are used to cycle through four positions of solved edges. You can see them in the left column of the fourth page here - http://www.stanford.edu/~leyanlo/Beginner_Solution_files/beginner.pdf. To do this, you can use F R U Ri Ui Fi and F U R Ui Ri Fi.

When you have no correctly flipped edges, F U R Ui Ri Fi will flip two of them and give you a line. F R U Ri Ui Fi will then properly flip all the edges when the line is positioned properly. F U R Ui Ri Fi will go from three flipped edges in the backwards L shape to all four edges flipped correctly.

Another option is to use 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL to solve the last layer in four steps. Here's a video on 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL by heiowge - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m55jn9fHU1A.
On YouTube, other users such as badmephisto have videos on 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL as well.

Lots of practice helps with any method.

Finally, about not using many moves, on this page for the Waterman solution, http://rubikscube.info/waterman/index.php, a total move count of 40-50 moves is mentioned. I'm not sure if it uses a lot of thinking though because the method involves a lot of algorithms.

The <insert name here> solution is the Roux method. Here's a link - http://grrroux.free.fr/method/Intro.html. On another page on that website, it does mention that it can be used to solve a cube in less than 50 moves.

There are probably other methods that don't use many moves. (The official world record for the fewest moves is 22.)

I hope this post (that ended up being way to long) helps!
Zeotor

Return to Speedcubing