Phone apps

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

Phone apps

Postby borginator2 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:16 am

Just downloaded and tried out a new app - Speedcube Timer (android, free app).

Features:

Tap and hold to inspect, release to start and tap screen to stop. Very responsive.

Scoreboard - Lifetime average, best, average of 5, average of 10
Solve history - Date, time and solve time

Puzzle type - 2x2 - 7x7, megaminx, square-1 and pyraminx.

Export history to SD

Clear records, and a variety of options I don't fully comprehend.

Only thing I think is missing (and I will give it an extra point if I someone shows me where the feature is) is tap, timed inspection, start (like in the comps, or on cubetimer.com), rather than tap hold to inspect release to start.

I rate it 9/10

Any other timer apps (android, iPhone, symbian, or Windows etc) people can add to this kitty?
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Re: Phone apps

Postby speedcuber4221 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:40 pm

Now if only I had an Android...

...or a phone...
Your cube is calling for you.
speedcuber4221

Re: Phone apps

Postby Zeotor » Fri May 13, 2011 3:58 am

There is the iiTimer made by Dan Cohen. It's $1.99 and is designed for iPhone and iPad. It provides a scramble based on which puzzle is chosen. The timer works like a StackMat, so you have to leave your finger(s) on the screen for a moment before the timer will start. It keeps track of averages of 5, 12, and 100. You can add penalties like +2. You can check out this video of Dan Cohen demonstrating it for more information.

There is also the iiTimer Lite by Dan Cohen. It just has scrambles for the 3x3 and records averages of 5. It is free.

Badmephisto has an app that has 3x3 algorithms. It has the OLL, PLL, 2-look OLL, 2-look PLL, and beginner's method algorithms as well as a notation page. It is $0.99.

There is also the official Rubik's app for Apple and Blackberry devices. It is $2.99 and lets you solve the 2x2 through 5x5. Other features include picture cubes and timed mode. There is more information in the Rubik's app store.

As a note, I don't have a smartphone and I haven't used any of these apps.
Zeotor

Return to Speedcubing