rubik's god ?

Discuss solutions, provide links to sites with solutions

rubik's god ?

Postby rubik's god » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:23 am

I have distinct memories as a child of watching my father working on rubik's cubes Now for those of you who are part of the XBOX 360/Nintendo Wii generation, a rubik's cube is a toy that is a mental puzzle. The challenge and objective of the rubik's cube is to twist and turn the blocks around till each side of the cube is a solid color.  Only when each side is a solid color at the same time is the puzzle completed.

My dad was incredible at the rubik's cube.  It is unbelievable. He must have had a class during college called "Rubik's Cube 101?.  Of course like most little boys, I wanted to be just like my Dad, so I naturally wanted to conquer the rubik's cube.

I found out quickly that I was biting off more than I could chew. . I found out that the rubik's cube is really difficult.  I was terrible at it. Jacked Up. At times, I was luckily able to get one of the colors aligned just right, but every other side would be completely jacked up. So to fix the other sides, I would have to mess up the side I actually got right.  On the other hand, I would be absolutely amazed at how easy and seemingly effortlessly my dad could master a rubik's cube.

As I starting thinking more about my rubik's cube experience more, I started realizing that the rubik's cube had a lot of similarities to my walk with God.

How many of you can say that you have this whole "life-with-God-thing" completely figured out? I know I can't. At times I feel like I cannot get anything right, much less understand the full complexity of God. As I have grown in my relationship with God, I feel like sometimes I have actually figured something out about life with God (like getting one side of the rubik's cube correct), but everything else still seems to be unclear (the rest of the rubik's cube is still wrong). And it seems to figure those things out, I have to break down what I feel like I do have a grasp on.

Does that make sense? I wish that there was just one answer to the question: What is life with God all about? That would look like a rubik's cube with only one color, but God (and the rubik's cube) is not that easy.

The Charlie Hall song "One Thing" beautifully states, " All of life comes down to just one thing.and that's to know you, Oh Jesus, and make you known. "  I always found that song ironic because all of life comes down to one thing which is actually two things. But it makes sense! You cannot have one without the other. They go hand-in-hand.

I wanted to encourage you today as your grow in your relationship with God to not give up. Keep searching.  Keep seeking.  Always push yourself to keep growing. Know that it is a process and a journey, not a moment.

Remember what I did when I got frustrated and could not figure out the rubik's cube? I gave it to my father and he was able to fix it for me. During times where you are struggling in your relationship with God, struggling in your faith, or struggling to keep going, when you want to put the rubik's cube down in frustration, remember that your Heavenly Father is a master at the rubik's cube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAMRPcICix4

rubik's god

Re: rubik's god ?

Postby borginator2 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:19 am

This is one of the most interesting post you have ever done for many reasons, but probably not for the reason you intended.

Firstly, I am totally apathetic to the whole 'god' thing.  My wife and
daughter are very christian, but I am not.  As a result I am not going
to comment on the issue of god and cubing.  I don't feel qualified to
answer.

What is interesting is that you say your father was good at solving the
cube, but you are not.  This answers a lot of my questions as to why
you never show your own skills with a cube - you don't have any.  So
I'm guessing your father is the great Gaetan Guimond?  And I take it that you're bitter that no-one gave him recognition, and that's why you constantly spam us with vids of him.

Well guess what?  Most of us on here already respect him.  He came up with his own method of solving and was an early pioneer of the blind-solve.  These are impressive feats and we respect him for them.

Where we lose respect for you is the constant reminders about him without actually contributing anything to this site.  Please stop spamming us, you've made your point.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby OsyenVyeter » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:37 am

God? Nthx.  I could point out various scriptures that make the bible most disagreeable indeed but Im going to use this site what it was meant for: discussion of rubiks cubes, not to push my beliefs on others. Although I will add one final thing on the topic

You see theres only 2 demographics: the people who already believe that sort of thing. (so why bother preaching to them) and those who dont believe in that sort of thing.  Those that dont believe - it isnt because they havent heard the schpiel before. They just plain arent interested.

You know, theres a word for people who force themselves on others who are unwilling, but Im not going to mention it.  Starts with R though.  (must admit if this becomes a theological chat room I wouldnt exactly mind, its one of my fav topics) 

Well to make this thread at least MILDLY rubiksian in nature, I was wondering guys, my mirror bump cube is really jammy, its not so bad now that Ive broken it in a bit since christmas but its still jams up kinda bad.  If i lubed it would it fix this? (to those who dont have it, you should get it, doing a blind solve is really fun)
OsyenVyeter

Postby borginator2 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:51 am

Lockups on a bump cube aren't down to lubing.  It's down to who makes it and how well.

My official rubiks mirror blocks is a pig to turn, both before and after I turned it into the mirror-borg cube.  I got sent another one to borg-ise, and that one is even worse to use.

I bought 2 KO versions - a silver one off ebay for about £5 and a black & white one (I think made by the people who make Dian Shengs, fisher cubes and windmill cubes) off puzl.co.uk for about £13 inc shipping.

The b&w is the best, followed by the silver KO. The official ones are the worst, and they can't be adjusted!

Lubing helps a little, but not much.  If it's stiff to start with either put up with it (hoping it'll break in eventually), or replace it.
borginator2

Postby televisionczar » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:21 am

Thank you rubik's god, I always thought that about a rubik's cube how it's like our lives, messed up, and we can't solve our lives on our own so we need God, who nows all things, and give ALL our lives, 'rubik's cube,' to Him and he will fix our problems and forgive our sins.

OsyenVyeter,We are not forcing religion on you but can you please explain what you call 'most disagreeable Bible scriptures'?

single/avgof5 2x2: 4.23/6.69 3x3: 13.98/18.35 4x4: 1:18.97/1:29.54 5x5:2:07.69/2:24.92 6x6 4:25.96/DNF 7x7 6:18.65/DNF
televisionczar

Postby OsyenVyeter » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:26 am

You know, amidst this thread theres one very pertainent blurb that could stand mentioning off the bat.  I assume you guys are familiar with 'god's algorithim'?  well anyway it 'refers to any algorithm which produces a solution having the least possible number of moves, the idea being that an omniscient being would know an optimal step from any given configuration.' -wikipedia in theory its approx 20 moves regaurdless of current cube permutation.  (seems kinda odd to me that we cant sort out exactly how many moves it would be since we were able to calculate the magic 43 quin)

Im sorry for any angry tone that may be construed in this letter but its really a rather of a placid inflection.

Anyway Televisionczar, the beef that I mostly have about it i guess Id say is that everyone is already familiar with the whole jesus/christianity thing, theres no need to keep offering people it.  Imagine that at your work place some guy keeps asking you out on a date and you tell him 'no'  now its fine the first time. He asked, you declined, its clear you are uninterested, but if later he asks again and keeps asking wouldnt that constitute sexual harrasment?  Now to tie the parallel to it,  dont you think that I/other people havent been repeatedly been offered the whole jesus platter? 

As for the disagreeable bible scriptures Im really not going to get into that, if i do, youll 'find holes in my logic' so youll refute me.  and then ill 'find holes in your logic' and itll be a never ending cycle of completely justified rebuttals, we'll get nowhere so lets just enjoy the peace and talk rubiks.  (lest you make it too tempting lol ah ha ha)
OsyenVyeter

Postby televisionczar » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:58 am

it's not about going on a date with you, He is trying to save you! just imagine some one is driving the wrong way and there is a dead end that leads off a cliff the way he is driving. if you new that he's driving that way, you will do whatever you can to try to save him by warning him that he is going the wong way and if you don't turn the right way it will lead you off the cliff! And that is why we christians keep telling you to turn to Jesus, because we don't want you to fall off the cliff! no one  wants to go to Hell, but the only way out of Hell is Jesus. and if you 'aren't interested' then all what you're doing is selling yourself into eternal damnation.
single/avgof5 2x2: 4.23/6.69 3x3: 13.98/18.35 4x4: 1:18.97/1:29.54 5x5:2:07.69/2:24.92 6x6 4:25.96/DNF 7x7 6:18.65/DNF
televisionczar

Postby borginator2 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:19 pm

You shall have no other gods before me.

How many religions say the same thing?  How many offer damnation if you don't take them up on it?  If I accept your offer, Allah, or buddah or 1000 others damn my soul.  Meh.  I couldn't care less.

Religion is all very well, but keep it off the forum, church boy.  If we wanted to chat religion, we'd have joined a religious forum.  This is a rubiks forum.  Talk cubes or sod off.
borginator2

Postby televisionczar » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:53 am

Yes, but there's still one difference in christianity that's not in the others: forgiveness by grace not works. allah and buddah and all those other religions most of those people don't even no whether or not they are going to hell, but christianity it's real not a scam you don't have to do anything cause' Jesus did it for you. he died, like a lamb to the sloughter. he didn't do anything wrong and on the third day he rose from the grave. before he rose into heaven he promised everyone He will return just as he asended He will descend again.
televisionczar

Postby borginator2 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:34 am

Show me physical proof and I'll buy in.  Not opinion.  Not historical record.  Proof.  And none of that 'the bible says so' rubbish.  Using the bible to 'prove' the existance of god is like using lord of the rings to prove the existance of orks.  And none of this 'well who created this', 'who created that' nonsense.  Not reasoning.  PROOF.

Proof that there is a god.  Proof that there is a heaven.  Proof that I'll go there when I die.  Proof that it's somewhere worth going.  Proof that there is a hell.  Proof that I won't go there if I follow christianity and finally proof that hell is best avoided.

If you can't do these simple things, then you have to admit that you go on blind faith.  Which I don't share.

I could tell you I believe we are all living in someone's imagination.  I can't prove it, but neither can you.  So who's to say who is correct?

The difference is that I'm not trying to jam my beliefs down your throat.

We just don't care.
borginator2

Next

Return to Solutions