Solution to No Interest in Cubing that much anymore?!

Discuss solutions, provide links to sites with solutions

Solution to No Interest in Cubing that much anymore?!

Postby rubixcuber » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:21 pm

I lost interest... any help? I wanna keep the title of Cube Master of My School though ;; D:

rubixcuber

Re: Solution to No Interest in Cubing that much anymore?!

Postby Blue » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:31 pm

I guess that you notice you lost interest and are looking for help is a start. 

Surf the internet and see how many sites you can find I bet one of them is bound to pique your curiosity again (hopefully maybe this one ;)  Set a new goal for yourself something that is different from how you approach the cube before, like learning a new set of algorithms or try perfecting a different method that is different from the one you're accustom to eg Corners first, 2x3 column then two sides, F2L upside-down etc. etc. - whatever it is.

And just keep it with you where ever you go, (like they say out of sight out of mind).

Blue

Postby rubixcuber » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:34 am

T.T im used to be one of the most loyal members to this forums (5th place in posting) but PUZZLES THEMSELVES seem boring to me... but maybe the Square 1 might spark up the heat back again... right? right? I've always wanted to TOUCH a square 1... hehe.

. . .

rubixcuber

Postby Kabuthunk » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:25 pm

I don't know if you've done it yet, but I've found that an added bit of fun is to make the stickers direction-specific, so that you have to make sure the middle square is oriented correctly.  I've found the easiest method to doing this is to basically cut about 2mm off of the same corner of all stickers.

As Blue said, keep a cube with you everywhere you go.  By sheer coincidence, I just 10 minutes ago finished ordering several keychain cubes for this very purpose, since my interest was slightly waning... mainly due to it being summer, and a regular-size cube simply doesn't fit into my pants pocket.  At least in winter I had a jacket or a hoodie.
Of course, I plan to remove the keychain portion, and just use the cube directly, plopping it into my pocket.  I was surprised how much I miss playing with it when I just 'had it with me' in winter, and so I'd pull it out and solve a few turns of it when waiting in line or whatever.

Added bonus: you get random people watching you while waiting in line at the grocery store.  I kinda like solving it for an audience of sorts :D.  I've had a few interesting discussions with people while waiting in a doctor's office and having solved it a few times.

Another thought that I've taken to enjoying doing: behind your back or closing your eyes or whatever, randomly rotate the cube 6 times (at least that's where I'm currently at for practice).  Juggle it around a bit so you don't know how you were last holding it for the last turn.  Then, try to solve it by figuring out what exactly those last 6 moves were.  With 5 turns I'm pretty flawless.  6 turns, I can figure it out about 80% of the time, but occasionally make a wrong turn, and end up having to solve it 'the hard way' :P.  It's surprisingly fun... to me, anyway.

Another thought that comes to mind, I did as well.  I designed my own stickers for an old cube.  I didn't bother getting the 'design your own cube stickers' thing from this site... I just used a colour printer and adhesive-backed printer paper, and packaging tape once I was done.  Then I trimmed the excess tape off from around each sticker.  I now have a cube with stickers that look like the 'ground' sprites from the old NES game 'Metroid'.  I just recoloured the sprite a few times to get 6 colour variations of it.

So yeah, those are the suggestions that come to mind offhand, anyway.

Kabuthunk

Postby OsyenVyeter » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:28 am

What you need to do is start making Rubik mods.  Ive made a rubiks 'ice cube' the whole top half of the cube is white, all the rest is blue thusly emulating Archemedes principle of water displacement.  And of course my all time favorite Rubiks cube: my braille cube.  One side has 9 Rs, another has 9 Us, 9Bs, I, K, S.  (thank you Erno for having a 5 letter last name which when modified to be in the possesive form manages a convienient 6 letters)  And I made a Lego cube.

Anyway Id put up a link, but then this would get deleted but check out on youtube about my braille cube.  Its only 1 of 2 braille cubes I know to exist and they are quite fun to solve blindfolded.  It is quite confusing finding letters in your scramble to be upside down because then you dont know what the hell that letter is often times.  Its a brain strain. Even on me ( I love how egotistical that sounds)
OsyenVyeter

Postby Blue » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:07 pm

Are you serious about the braille cube?  Since  I heard sighted people couldn't read braille, I was thinking instead of using braille, using things like sand paper and other material that had different tactile properties that sighted people could detect with their fingertips even though they are blind-folded.

Blue

Postby rubixcuber » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Thx guys :) I should solve the cube in Costco or something lol

rubixcuber

Postby Kabuthunk » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:46 pm

Anywhere there's lots of people waiting seems to make things interesting.  When people are stuck just... waiting for something, they will latch onto any source of entertainment they can find.

Good luck in your quest to get an audience :D
Kabuthunk

Postby junejie » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:56 am

1. hey ... into the p herson have no interest dont try to force yourself inrubix itis only to the person that have a interest that the interstdidnotforced
junejie

Postby rubixcuber » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:15 am

i finally got lube to lubricate my a-v so i got interested again cuz of the smooth speed xD
rubixcuber

Return to Solutions