UPDATED: I have pictures for you: I still cant solve Step 4 of the rubik's cube instructions?

Discuss solutions, provide links to sites with solutions

UPDATED: I have pictures for you: I still cant solve Step 4 of the rubik's cube instructions?

Postby twisted » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:09 am

Hello everyone!

The instructions that come with my rubik's cube don't seem to be working. I can't solve step number 4 of the instructions. No matter how many times I do: F R U Ri Ui FI

I can never, ever seem to get that blue cross they talk about in the instructions. I must of tried it a million times and I never get that blew cross with F R U Ri Ui Fi.  I know Im following the instructions correctly so why can't I get that blue cross?

Ok here this might help you people. This is what my rubiks cube looks like:

http://a.imageshack.us/img820/6704/myrubiks.jpg

and here is the picture of the other side:

http://a.imageshack.us/img186/8626/rubiksside2.jpg

Obviously the bottom is completely solved and green.

I have been told on another website that my cube is unsolvable but how can that be when I bought it from Toys R' Us , it was in its original packaging, I have proof of purchase, the cube was in a solved state when I bought it, and nobody has touched it but me. I still cant solve Step 4 of the rubiks instructions, now how can this be when I bought it in its solved state?

twisted

Re: UPDATED: I have pictures for you: I still cant solve Step 4 of the rubik's cube instructions?

Postby Flargus » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:01 pm

I think you already posted this on the twisty puzzles forum, but just in case, ill reply.
One of the edge pieces is manually changed. because this is impossible otherwise. just take out and flip ANY edge piece and it will be fixed. :)
Flargus

Re: UPDATED: I have pictures for you: I still cant solve Step 4 of the rubik's cube instructions?

Postby borginator2 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:24 pm

So did you peel the stickers and replace them or did you disassemble the cube?

The blue cross on the top is only possible in one of 4 configurations:

Centre square with:

1)  Dot - None of the cross complete
2)  Line - left and right complete
3)  L (AKA the J) - 2 adjacent edges complete
4)  Cross - All 4 edges complete

So you see, from a solved cube, it's not possible to get the cube to look like that.  I suggest you follow a tutorial on youtube about disassembly of a cube, then put it back solved.  Then learn to solve it.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby OsyenVyeter » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:20 am

Doesnt anyone just want to figure out the cube anymore?

But anyway Borginator is definately right.  you can only have an even number of blue edges being properly oriented (either 0, 2, or 4)  1 or 3 would be mathematically impossible at this stage in the game. Ive checked it in practice and on paper and numbers dont lie.
OsyenVyeter

Postby CuberDude » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:28 am

Ok there are three cases for you

for the top color to be a backwards L (the upper left corner and top)
for the top color to be figured in a line (from left to right)
and 3
for there to be nothing of your top color (besides the center)

if you have case 3
do the algorithm you have and then F U R U' R' F'

if you have case two
do the algorithm you have of the other one that i stated above twice (but before doing it a second time check to see what of the three cases you have, you should have case 1)

and if you have case 1
do the algorithim i told you to get the cross

oh ok i just looked at your pictures and this has happened to me before

try use parts of the 3 edges as a backwards L or a line and that should help

most of you must use the harder method because this cant happen if you use that method

i was taught by my brother so i now use the beginners method but i am learning more

it that still doesn't work try scrambling it again

and if that still doesn't work i ask you if you disassembled it or took a peice off

if so you would have to disassemble it and reassemble it in a solved state

if this helps please respond
CuberDude

Postby borginator2 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:18 am

Ignore what he just said.

I'm sorry, but getting 3 solved edges is just not possible from a solved cube.  I'd rotate the top layer 45 degrees and pop out an edge piece (that's the middle piece along the side, not the centre or the corners).  Then pull out all the pieces in the top layer (except the centre - that's attached to the core!).  Pop them back in a solved state.  Don't pop out the pieces and put them back any old way again!  You could end up with an unsolvable state again!!!

Once your cube is in a solved state, mess it up.  Learn to solve it.  It's great fun.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby twisted » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:26 am

'Flargus: I think you already posted this on the twisty puzzles forum, but just in case, ill reply.
One of the edge pieces is manually changed. because this is impossible otherwise. just take out and flip ANY edge piece and it will be fixed. :) '

yup, Im the same exact guy from the twisty puzzles forum and I have solved the problem thanks to all your help. So I thank everyone so much for your help! I mean it thanks for your time and effort to help me :-)
twisted

Return to Solutions