4x4 corner trouble

Discuss solutions, provide links to sites with solutions

4x4 corner trouble

Postby guitarguy98 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:43 am

I am trying to solve a rubiks 4x4, and I am having some trouble. I have solved everything other than the blue/white/red corner. Everything is solved, but the corner piece is fliped the wrong way. How can I rotate this corner without messing up the rest of the cube?
guitarguy98

Re: 4x4 corner trouble

Postby cube2cube » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:35 pm

It's mathematically impossible to end up with the whole cube solved and just one corner flipped. Your cube has been taken apart at some point and put back together incorrectly, or someone has peeled the stickers off and put them back wrong. You need to take it apart and put it back together correctly solved or peel off the corner stickers and put them back in the right positions. The latter is your best bet because putting a 4x4x4 back together can be very tricky if you don't know what you're doing. 

cube2cube

Postby borginator2 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:25 pm

I would strongly disagree with the last part of that statement.

Restickering can be tricky too.  Plus you need new stickers.  Replacing peeled stickers on a cube looks awful and is bad practise.

There are plenty of guides on youtube on reassembly of a rubiks 4x4, but in this case they are not needed.

Here's how you fix it:

1)  Put the offending corner on the top.
2)  Rotate the top face 45 degrees either way.
3)  Using your fingers if possible (or with the help of a flat, non-sharp knife), pop out the 2 pieces to the left of the corner.  You could pick the 2 on the right instead if you want, just pick one of them.  As long as it's not one on each side!  hehe
4)  You should then easily be able to rotate that wrong corner so that it is the correct way round.  If you can't do that, then it has indeed been sticker peeled.  Go to part 7.
5)  Replace the 2 edge pieces - might take a little pressure to do.  Don't worry, you won't break the cube - how do you think they get assembled in the first place?
6)  Rotate the top back into place.  Your cube should be fixed.
7)  If at stage 4 you could get the corner fixed on one face, but the other 2 were swapped, it means someone sticker peeled it at some point.  I'd resticker the whole cube with fresh stickers or preferably tiles from cubesmith (google it).  I recommend the textured tiles.
8)  Don't de-sticker it again.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby mklinger » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:44 pm

i think you do R* D* R D algerithm
mklinger

Postby borginator2 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:59 pm

No.  You don't. [:|]
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby cube2cube » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:36 am

borginator2 is right, R' D' R D won't get you anywhere. The cube has been tampered with and is therefore unsolvable no matter how many algorithms you use.
cube2cube

Postby dollarbill2208 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:59 am

I know this post is a year old, but I thought I'd put in my two cents worth anyway. Someone else might read this post. I had the same exact thing happen to me. Everything solved except for a single corner oriented incorrectly. I finally figured it out.

This is no matter of taking apart one or two cubies, and putting them back incorrectly. The way this happens is when you are solving, you orient your centers incorrectly. If you don't have your centers opposing the right way (red to orange; yellow to white; blue to green) or however it is set up originally when you first got the cube, then you will indeed have a disoriented corner. This is perhaps the single most difficult task for the 4x4 because you really have to remember what the cube is supposed to look like, as opposed to the 3x3 where the centers are given to you.

So mathematically it is very possible, if there is a flaw in your solving, and although only a slight one, enough to throw the whole cube off. I don't know of any algorithms to move/swap whole faces. I just had to reshuffle and start all over again with new knowledge of why it happened. Hope this helps.
dollarbill2208

Postby Sharkretriver » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:05 pm

Yes, you have bumped, but whatever, there's no one on this forum to go insane about it, or is there?
So, you said that you have everything other than one corner solved.

Now question is, how's it possible that you can end up with only one corner off?
If you had switched even 2 centers, there would be 2 corners with the colours opposite of the switched centers, and if you switched 3, eg U R L centers, it would be equivalent to switching 2 (kinda hard to explain)
If you switched F U R centers, you'd have a lot more than a single corner off.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Return to Solutions