Solving an octagonal prism

Discuss solutions, provide links to sites with solutions

Solving an octagonal prism

Postby EdD » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:41 pm

I've just been sent a scrambled octagonal prism, that is a 3x3x3 cube with four edges cut off at 45 degrees and a different colour stickers on each of these cut-off faces.

I'm trying to solve it as a normal 3x3x3 cube, but this doesn't work because I don't know which 45-degree face is equivalent to which edge. Does anyone either know which edge is which, or any way of working this out?

The octagonal ends of the prism are white and red, the other four square centres are dark green, blue, orange, yellow clockwise when looking from the white end. The 45-degree faces are pink, purple, turquoise and light green. I've found a few pictures of octagonal prism "cubes", but none of them have the same colours as mine. I've seen algorithms for solving parity errors, but nothing about finding the order of the sides.

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by EdD on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EdD

Re: Solving an octagonal prism

Postby EdD » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:06 pm

Just to add that I have found various pictures of octagonal prism "cubes" on the web, but none of them have the same colour scheme as mine. I've also found algorithms for solving parity errors on these cubes, but nothing on how to work out which order the edges go in.

The octagonal ends of the prism are white and red. The other square centres are in the order orange, yellow, dark green, blue clockwise when looking from the white end. As I said before the 45-degree faces are pink, purple, turquoise and light green.

None of the stickers have any brand name or logo. I know the cube is at least 15 years old, it could be anything up to 30 years old.
EdD

Postby borginator2 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Solve thee barrel exactly the same way as a cube. It doesn't matter where the edges go. Pick somewhere. There are a few ways it could go. The parity errors occur when you put them in the wrong place and correct for it (often by swapping edge positions).

I'd search youtube for the best guides.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby EdD » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:48 pm

Are there multiple solutions with the corners in different places?

I eventually found a solution of dark green, turquoise, blue, light green, orange, pink, yellow, purple.
EdD

Postby borginator2 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:47 pm

EdD wrote:Are there multiple solutions with the corners in different places?

Yes. :D
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Return to Solutions