Help With 4x4x4?

Discuss solutions, provide links to sites with solutions

Re: Help With 4x4x4?

Postby Vappid » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:35 pm

borginator2 wrote:Ok. Walk us through a solve. If you can post pics that'd help.

Walkthrough can do now, I'll post up pics when I can find my camera..
So from scrambled, I'll solve the centers, make sure they line up with the corner pieces, align the edges, then start solving like a 3x3x3.
I'll get the first three layers done, and when I hit the last layer, and I'm trying to solve the cross, I won't have parity...So I'll just continue with the solve, then when I have to align the corners is when the parity hits...Generally on two corners on the same face...
Idk if that makes sense....But it's what happens more often then not..
Once again, sorry about not knowing what I'm doing. xD
Vappid

Postby Zeotor » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:58 pm

In the video description of this video by RobH0629, there's this:

"*NOTE* If you do NOT use my 3x3 method to solve the 4x4, you may come across a FOURTH "parity error". This error affects the position and/or orientation of the top CORNER pieces. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO is use the algorithm I have listed below and also demonstrated in THIS tutorial...the one that corresponds to STEP 6 of my 3x3 tutorial. That algorithm to FIX CORNER POSITION is
R' F R' B2 R F' R' B2 R2
That will CORRECT any CORNER problem you may have. If you are UNSURE of how to use that algorithm exactly, please see my step 6 of my 3x3 tutorial."
Zeotor

Postby borginator2 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:10 pm

I think it's down to how you solve that last layer. I take it you do cross, fix the edges, then rotate the corners, then position them?

If so, you might find that you need to fix your edge position parity earlier than expected (at the second stage of what I just said, rather than the end). See if that helps.

I, personally, use 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL. With that you solve the cross (fixing edge flip parity if necessary), then complete the top face (with 1 of 7 algorithms), then position the corners (1 of 2 algorithms), and fix the edges (1 of 4 algs) and any swapped edge parity (2 cases). Sounds confusing, but it's faster than beginners and is seen as an intermediate method (with full fridrich, petrus and a few other methods as advanced methods needing many more algs). Bonus is that I don't get corner parity.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby borginator2 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Vappid wrote:... make sure they line up with the corner pieces

If you memorise your cube centre positions, you eliminate the need to check with positioning. I solve white and yellow first, then pair up the centres into 2x1 bars, then position them.

Centres on a standard cube are white opposite yellow, red opposite orange and blue opposite green. If you learn that and the order they go in, you'll never have to work it out again.

If you put the white blue red corner facing you (I know, it'll probably be elsewhere on the cube, but I mean position the cube so you can see white on the top, and blue on the right, red should be on the left of the blue

borginator2

Postby Vappid » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Well I think I just figured it out..
I was just doing things in the wrong order. xD
Well..I think anyways, but it's working for me now. :)
Thanks for the advice guys:)
Vappid

Postby borginator2 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:26 pm

No problem. If it's any consolation, it took me a while to master 4x4 and 5x5 cubes.
borginator2

Previous

Return to Solutions