Confusion on "Solve LIKE a 3x3"

Discuss solutions, provide links to sites with solutions

Confusion on "Solve LIKE a 3x3"

Postby Millard » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:54 am

Hey there!

I just got a 4x4 today and happily(and somewhat fruitlessly) been working on it. I have all the centers solved, and all the middle edges in pairs!(However, all the pairs do not line up with their sides.) I have reached step three in these instructions: http://www.speedcubing.com/chris/4-step3.html

It tells me(like other tuts I've read) That now I can "solve like the 3x3". Unfortunately...whenever I DO try to 'solve it like a 3x3'...something goes wrong! :( Normally to move(in a 3x3) a top edge piece into a side edge cubie I use for example(to move it right) U-R-Ui-Ri-Ui-Fi-U-F. However, when I try this algorithm with my 4x4 it..fails. Yes I'm gripping the both the R and the r(right inner) side when the "R" parts of the alg come up. I also tried(separately) grabbing U and u, as well as F and f to see if perhaps they ALL needed to be grasped with their internal companion. :(

I guess what I'm saying is..I'm at my wits end! What am I doing wrong!? :(

This link is to a PNG of what I'm trying to do :) No the colors aren't the say but at least the theory is, hope it helps![url]
https://8860362742008085105-a-180274477 ... edirects=0[/url]
Millard

Re: Confusion on "Solve LIKE a 3x3"

Postby borginator2 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:07 am

Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lSLPnxsa64

It's my mega parity vid for the 4x4 and 5x5 cubes.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby Millard » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:21 pm

I'm leery that it's a parity problem, but understanding is that happens once you are already solving like the 3x3. I'm struggling to figure out HOW to solve like the 3x3, thanks though!
Millard

Postby Millard » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:38 pm

I "figured it out"!

I do have a new question though, if I was "solving like a 3x3" i'd already have my corners in place....do I stop after getting all the solved edge pairs, and solve the corners?
Millard

Postby borginator2 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:41 pm

If you watch the vids carefully, you'll see that the 4x4 is normally solved as:

Fix centres (I normally make the white then yellow (or blue if the japanese cube) as it's opposite the white, next pair up the centre 2x1 pieces then pair them up to make centres in the correct place).

Pair up edges (often with edge pair parity case)

Solve like a 3x3. This last step has a couple of extra bits though....

Solve like a 3x3:

1) white cross (substitute colour of choice here)
2) white corners
3) 2nd layer
4) Yellow cross (again, substitute opposite colour of choice here)
5) Fix 1st case edge parity if necessary - if you have 1 or 3 edges flipped only, you can't make the cross.
6) Solve the rest as normal, fixing 2nd case if you need to - if you have 1 pair of edges swapped, either opposite or adjacent.

Note that I do steps 2 and 3 at the same time with intuitive f2l. Step 6 is a weird one. The edge swapped parity can be completed at any stage, but is best done when it suits you. Some people who do beginners method fix it after stage 5. I solve by 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL so I do parity there at the very end.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby Millard » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Thanks so much for your help! I have four successful solves now...but it is taking some real getting used to! I'm going to copy your Order of Operations to make sure it's in the same ballpark as what I'm trying. Thanks again!
Millard

Return to Solutions