Petrus with a twist

Discuss solutions, provide links to sites with solutions

Petrus with a twist

Postby arenol » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Hello,

I recently found my old cube a few months ago, and had a hard time remembering the algorithms that I used to solve it thirty-odd years ago.

Then I came across Petrus' web site (http://www.lar5.com/cube/index.html) and was able to solve it again. An ingenious approach.

After getting to know the method, I discovered that I often could save some turns in step 4 if could put in a different 1x2x3-block than one of those two you are supposed to build at this step. Although that would mean that I had to solve the final layer with one of the sides turned, and I would (usually) get an extra turn at the end (sometimes, that turn would actually coincide with or even be the opposite of the last side turned of the last algorithm - thus no extra turn, or even a turn less).

After practicing this a number of times, it turned out to be not too difficult.

Then I tried to do this from step 2 as well, doing step 4 as normal. By carefully studying the edges doing step 3, that didn't turn out too complicated either.

Then finally, I tried to leave a face turned both in step 2 and step 4, leaving two extra interleaving turns at the end. I have to confess that I have failed several times at the final layer doing this, but I have also succeeded a number of times (recall, I'm just a hobby-cuber, a pro should be able to do this easilly).

With the abundance of cube-solving sites in the Internet, I'm puzzled why I can't find any description of this "twist", it's so simple.
The method is maybe too complicated for speed-solvers, but for those that are into solving it in fewest possible turns, it is definitely a turn-saving technique.

Are there any of you out there using this method, and what is your experience with it?
arenol

Re: Petrus with a twist

Postby arenol » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:07 am

Just found out myself actually.

Yes they do! Even from step 1b.

Not because they save turns at the respective steps, but because the pieces align up for fewer turns later in the solution.

That's how they manage to find <30 turn solutions where I find <50 turn solutions.

I'm impressed!
arenol

Return to Solutions