How beginners adjust cube's degree of tightness?

Discuss solutions, provide links to sites with solutions

How beginners adjust cube's degree of tightness?

Postby shellibranch » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:25 am

This is mainly for beginners. Masters usually have their own adjustments. I'm a novice too, so your advices are appreciated.

Two week ago, i baught a rubik cube on geartaker.com. ***moderator edit - Sorry had to remove that link***
It was a little tight. I guess maybe the sellers tight the cubes to ensure its complement during the delivery.

If anyone else got a cube which was a little tight, the adjustments mentioned below may be appliable.
1. First open the center piece of six faces, turn each face 90°, then turn the cube & feel if it's ok. If you don't like it, repeat.
2. Further adjustments follows one's own habits.
A. Usually Front, Back, Left, Right. Adjust the degree of tightness to the same.
B. Personally, the Bottom should be a little tighter than four faces above. Because the Bottom isn't usually turned. What's more, if the Bottom is too loose, turning would be stuck.
C. As the Top face is usually used, it can be adjusted a little loose, so that it's easily turned to speed up the turning.

Above is my personal conclusion, based on my own experience. I used to buy cubes in local hobby stores, the cubes baught there usually do not have the tightness problem. Cubes from online shopping may do. Your questions are welcomed. I'm just a beginner, so i would be appreciated if you gave me any suggestions or sharing.
shellibranch

Re: How beginners adjust cube's degree of tightness?

Postby Sharkretriver » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:32 am

This is what I would do
1. disassemble the cube
2. take the caps off
3. stretch the opposite centers out, look at the distance of the springs from the core to the center
4. tension it so ALL the centers stretch out to about 2-4mm away from the core
5. reassemble, leave center caps off
6. if cube is too loose, tighten all centers 90 degrees clockwise, if too tight then 90 degrees counterclockwise
7. repeat step 6 until optimal
7.5. you might want to use 45 degree increments for greater accuracy

I hope this helped
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby Zeotor » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:11 am

Sharkretriver wrote:3. stretch the opposite centers out, look at the distance of the springs from the core to the center

Another way to get all of the tensions the same is to tighten all of the screws all the way. From that point, loosen all of the sides the same amount. So, if you loosen one side 90 degrees, do the same to the other ones.
Zeotor

Postby Sharkretriver » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:45 pm

Zeotor wrote:
Sharkretriver wrote:3. stretch the opposite centers out, look at the distance of the springs from the core to the center

Another way to get all of the tensions the same is to tighten all of the screws all the way. From that point, loosen all of the sides the same amount. So, if you loosen one side 90 degrees, do the same to the other ones.

Cool, I'll consider that, although right now i don't really need to. Also, will it somewhat wear the core? just wondering
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby Zeotor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:13 am

I'm not sure if it would affect the core. It probably would if you did it too much.

Here's one more way to get the tensions equal before changing them to what you want. Take off a center cap and look for a raised circle of plastic surrounding the screw. Loosen the screw until the washer under the head of the screw is level with the top of the plastic circle. Do this to all six of the sides. Now all of the sides are the same so you can tighten them all equally. Remember that if you do something to one side, do it to the others too. Setting the cube's tensions this way might not affect the core as much as the other way could.
Zeotor

Return to Solutions