all top edges flipped

Discuss solutions, provide links to sites with solutions

all top edges flipped

Postby gomphus » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi,

I'm a beginner at solving the 3x3 cube. I've been referring to the easy solution at: http://www.chessandpoker.com/rubiks-cube-solution.html

I memorized all the algorithms and have been successfully solving the cube and getting faster. But today I ran into a final layer configuration that I can't solve using the algorithms I know. If you refer to that webpage, I'm at step six. All the final layer corners are in their correct final position and orientation. I'm just solving the four last edges - I'm supposed to solve two of them in this step. Now, all four last edges are in their correct positions, but all four are flipped. No matter how many times I apply the step six algorithm, I cannot escape this pattern or resolve it to a Dedmore Fish or Dedmore 'H' orientation.

Can someone please confirm if I'm right in thinking that the algorithm given in step six doesn't work in my case, and tell me how to proceed?

thank you
gomphus

Re: all top edges flipped

Postby Sharkretriver » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:02 pm

You should look around the page more ^_~
Step 7 says
"Once you are ready, perform the applicable last layer algorithm below to completely solve the cube. The first is known as the "H" Pattern, and the second is known as the "Fish Pattern". If for some reason you had all four edges flipped (instead of the usual two edges) when you finished step six, simply perform the "H" Pattern once from any front. You will then be able to find either of the two original patterns at that point."

I hope this helps

btw I suggest you learn notation http://solvethecube.110mb.com/notation.html
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby gomphus » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:35 am

It is completely typical of me that I skim things and think I understand them, and then ask stupid questions! :roll:

Thanks for having the patience to answer!
gomphus

Postby Sharkretriver » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:41 pm

gomphus wrote:It is completely typical of me that I skim things and think I understand them, and then ask stupid questions! :roll:

Thanks for having the patience to answer!

Hey, there's barely any traffic on this forum, so I like to see new stuff I could reply to. No problem!
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby gomphus » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:44 pm

That's good to know. I'll become your student then! :lol:

Seriously, now that I've memorized that seven-step method and am getting a little bit faster, and I've learned the move notation on the page you linked, what do you advise I should do next?

There seem to be so many methods out there, and some of them are really challenging. I don't have a huge amount of time to spend on this, but I'd like to learn to solve in like, just under a minute, instead of the three/four minutes I take now (with an old cube, that keeps getting jammed - must buy a new one). What do you suggest?
gomphus

Postby arenol » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:04 pm

Well, the easy way is to first solve two of them, then the do other two.

gomphus wrote:Hi,

I'm a beginner at solving the 3x3 cube. I've been referring to the easy solution at: http://www.chessandpoker.com/rubiks-cube-solution.html

I memorized all the algorithms and have been successfully solving the cube and getting faster. But today I ran into a final layer configuration that I can't solve using the algorithms I know. If you refer to that webpage, I'm at step six. All the final layer corners are in their correct final position and orientation. I'm just solving the four last edges - I'm supposed to solve two of them in this step. Now, all four last edges are in their correct positions, but all four are flipped. No matter how many times I apply the step six algorithm, I cannot escape this pattern or resolve it to a Dedmore Fish or Dedmore 'H' orientation.

Can someone please confirm if I'm right in thinking that the algorithm given in step six doesn't work in my case, and tell me how to proceed?

thank you
arenol

Postby Sharkretriver » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:21 pm

arenol wrote:Well, the easy way is to first solve two of them, then the do other two.

gomphus wrote:Hi,

thank you

The fast way is to learn ELL which is 29 algorithms, and use one of them to solve all the edges in one go.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Return to Solutions