Rubik's Revenge: Corner Parity

Discuss solutions, provide links to sites with solutions

Rubik's Revenge: Corner Parity

Postby evans-rubix08912 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:03 pm

On the 4x4x4 Rubik's cube (or the Rubik's Revenge), what is the cause of what is known as Corner Parities? These problems do not exist on a standard 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube but, they exist on a 4x4x4. Both cubes have 8 corners and the extra middle layer that is inert on a 4x4x4 should have no influence on the corner pieces... but, clearly it does. This makes no sense to me and, is causing me problems when attempting to solve my 4x4x4 intuitively for the third time. :oops: Some information would be much appreciated.
evans-rubix08912

Re: Rubik's Revenge: Corner Parity

Postby borginator2 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Out of curiosity, are the two swapped corners diagonally opposite, or adjacent to each other?

I suspect it means you have 2 corners to fix, and that creates a standard edge parity that appears invisible due to your corners being out.

If they're adjacent, try rotating the top layer until you have 1 fixed, then use corner swap algs. Then fix edges and solve parity.

Use my faster methods tutorial if you need help here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5139

And my parity guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5135

If they are diagonally positioned, use a y-perm alg to swap them. Then again, fix edges. These are mentioned in those vids.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby Sharkretriver » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:12 pm

A corner parity is basically caused by center problems, since on an even cube you don't have fixed centers.
As borginator2 said, find a way to permute the last layer so that you are left with only 2 edges which need to switch with one another. Then you can try solving from there.
By the way, you have a permutation parity, not an orientation one.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby evans-rubix08912 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks for the advice.

Since I am trying to solve this 2-corner permutation parity intuitively, I cannot use the algorithms you listed. So, I am wondering if it is possible to create a 2-corner cycle. I have been successful in creating my own 3-corner cycle, so, I thought that maybe I could do that as well. Furthermore, I would also like to know if anyone has already created a 2-corner cycle for the 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube or if such an algorithm is even feasible.

Thanks in Advance. :D :D :D 8-)
evans-rubix08912

Postby Sharkretriver » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:32 am

It'll be hard to make an algorithm like that. Have you made an algorithm to switch 3 edges or 2 edges? How about one to switch 2 edges and 2 corners at same time? Those will help.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby evans-rubix08912 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:55 pm

I have found another way of solving the corner parity: :idea: I simply created an edge parity (the one with two edge sets opposite each other) and solved the cube from there on. I have not yet discovered any 2-Corner Cycle algorithms that work, but I will update this post if I do.
evans-rubix08912

Postby Sharkretriver » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:28 pm

From the method that I use, I have to say that there isn't any corner parity that's efficient. I think that you pretty much got down the entire 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube, congrats!
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Return to Solutions