Need to Partially Solve a cube.

Discuss solutions, provide links to sites with solutions

Need to Partially Solve a cube.

Postby Jack_Tighe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Hello all.

I'm new to the forum, and new to anything and everything related to Rubiks Cubes. I was hoping for some guidance on a very specific issue.

I'd like to be able to arrange, fairly quickly, a completely random (shuffled?) looking cube, into a cube that is solved on either four or preferably five faces, but still looks very random on the remaining face.

I expect that sounds like a strange request, but If anyone knows how to achieve this, and could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

Jack
Jack_Tighe

Re: Need to Partially Solve a cube.

Postby borginator2 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:13 pm

Not sure about 4 faces, but 5 solved and one scrambled is impossible without restickering.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby Jack_Tighe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:47 pm

As soon as you said that, everything fell into place. Re-stickering would make sense for what I need to do.

Many thanks
Jack_Tighe

Postby Jack_Tighe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:52 pm

Incidentally, just realized exactly why 5 solved one scrambled couldn't be possible. Forgive that lapse in intelligence.
Jack_Tighe

Postby Sharkretriver » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:44 pm

...Try to think about what a cube with 4 or 5 faces solved looks like. There are many impossible cases on a Rubik's Cube, for example a single twisted corner or edge.
A cube with 5 solved faces already has 45 stickers of 5 colours completed, and so the 6th face will have to be completed as well.
A twist of a single corner (impossible) would already affect 3 faces, and so would doing a double-edge flip (possible). A single edge flip (only possible on even numbered cubes) would affect 2 faces only.
A J-permutation would also affect 3 faces.
Therefore, arranging it so that 4 or 5 sides are solved is impossible on a 3x3x3. There are many ways to make it so that 3 faces are solved though.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Return to Solutions