understanding/comprehending god's solution

Discuss solutions, provide links to sites with solutions

understanding/comprehending god's solution

Postby dcraft » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Has there been any work done on understanding what god's solution is doing such that a human might be able to replicate it?

What I am imagining is analyzing a large database of god's solutions to see if one can say simple things like "each turn tries to maximize the number of corner/edge cubie matches" or something like that. IN other words, is there some "gradient descent"-like behavior one can glean by studying, computationally, a large number of god's solutions in action.

I'm a cube newbie but trained in mathematical optimization, hence the "gradient descent on combinatorial graphs" way of thinking about this problem. Any pointers/directions to ideas about this would be greatly appreciated.
dcraft

Re: understanding/comprehending god's solution

Postby borginator2 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:34 pm

I read the title of this post and thought I was gonna have to ban you as a spammer. Then I read the post! :lol:
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby Sharkretriver » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:48 am

Well, the way they proved the number was 20 was by using a computer to go through solving every single case.
God's solution is basically the shortest solution, and that's not very obvious; remember that greedy algorithms exist, and though they appear to be making progress (e.g. matching blocks) it might not be the actual solution.

There is also the Thistlethwaite, Human Thistlethwaite, and Heise methods, if you are interested in solving based on fewest moves.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby Zeotor » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:15 am

dcraft wrote:Any pointers/directions to ideas about this would be greatly appreciated.

The following two websites may help.
http://www.cube20.org/
http://kociemba.org/cube.htm
Zeotor

Return to Solutions