Special Tricks in Rubik's Cube

General discussions and topics

Special Tricks in Rubik's Cube

Postby AlonM » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:55 pm

Hi...
I wonder if anyone can get me video guides on special shapes in the cube.
Like the flower, and the crosses on every side. (these i already know).

I need a good guide that will explain the subject to me.
Thanks
AlonM

Re: Special Tricks in Rubik's Cube

Postby Fox » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:09 am

There is, unfortunately, very little to explain when learning patterns.  There's no rhyme or reason behind most of the more complex ones, but you should be able to find some good information with a google of
'rubik's cube patterns java'.

There's a good list here, but with no java applets or videos. But if you want to play with the cube, it's worth it to learn the correct notation. http://www.math.ucf.edu/~reid/Rubik/patterns.html

And you could learn some blindfolded techniques (for use without blindfold) to put pieces wherever you want. It's a little complex, but there's a lot of good info with java applets here: http://cubefreak.net/blindfoldcubing_guide.html

And, of course, if you want to design your own patterns:
http://kociemba.org/cube.htm

Fox

Postby AlonM » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:11 am

Hi!!
Thank you very much.
I was searching what you told me on youtube and got to this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzCBs-oyIQI

and now I have 5 shapes i didn't know and really wanted to learn.

I already know how to solve the cube, and i know the move notations.
I do it in the Fridrich system, though, because i can't find video guides on the VH system.
I work on my record in Fridrich (right now 1:11) and I truely want to learn special shpaes, it's far more impressing than just solving the cubing, espacially after had already seen me solve the cube - shapes will be more impressive.
AlonM

Postby Fox » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:37 am

Knowing what to search is the first step to finding what you want.

Also, I wholeheartedly disagree that patterns are more impressive.  They're a neat 'Oh look, I learned an extra alg that makes things pretty', but getting a solve done sub-20 is more impressive to the causal observer. If you want to impress your friends that have seen you solve already, you  may want to look into other puzzles

And you're probably not going to find much on VH in video form.  Just take the time and read the text.  Yes, video may be easier, but take some initiative dude.
If you're actually serious about VH (and you aren't just name dropping to make yourself sound more impressive ;-) ) then stop learning OLL PLL, and start learning EO COLL EP.
Fox

Postby AlonM » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:00 am

It's not that i am lazy.
it's just that english is not my best language and i can't seem to find the guides in hebrew and those i can find are too amature and i can't understand a thing.
also the diagrams and graphs that claim to explain the system - i just cant understand it.
there, it's either waiting or hoping one of my friends will learn the system and teach me.
AlonM

Postby Fox » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:38 am

Understood.

However, this a good reason to look up the java cubes. I find them more helpful than videos because you can stop/start/pause/step the animations and look at them from any angle.
Fox

Postby AlonM » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:43 pm

I don't understand what is this java cube that you are talking about.
can you direct me?
AlonM

Return to General Rubik's Discussion