Poorly designed 4x4 Rubik's Cube

General discussions and topics

Poorly designed 4x4 Rubik's Cube

Postby KrazyJeff » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:34 am

I am quite disappointed with the design or built of the 4x4 Rubik's Revenge Cube made by Milton Bradley (that is what it says on the package). I am practicing solving the puzzle--I learned a while back how to solve it, and when I turn the sides, the pieces want to fall out, or during the rotation it gets stuck, so instead going forward I have to go backward in order to continue my turns.

The cube is fairly new, I've only had it for a few days.  Purchased it at amazon.com.  Package and everything seems to be the original Rubik's brand.  I am wondering at this point if I got stuck with a defected cube?  Or is this a common factor with the 4x4 cube from Milton Bradley?

I read at wikipedia.org that they mention a better build of this cube. Though it's smaller in design, at youtube.com they demonstrate how easy it is to rotate the sides without any problems at all.  Almost to the point of being able to speed cube the puzzle.  Do you guys know if that brand is better than this model?

I don't know whether to return this one, and just tell Amazon to let the people know at Milton Bradley that they really need to make a better design for this cube.

KrazyJeff

Re: Poorly designed 4x4 Rubik's Cube

Postby TomZ » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:39 am

You shouldn't return it. Most Rubik's brand 4x4's are like that, but after a while they may become better. (Or they may not). I don't think telling the people at amazon will do anything.

The 'other brand' is much better indeed.
TomZ

Postby Erno Rubik » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:00 pm

You shouldn't have bought a Rubik's 4x4.
Eastsheens are way better.
That's probably the cube you saw in that video/videos.
They have a much better design and turn a lot smoother.
Hang on to that Rubik's one, though.
Never know what might happen.

-Erno
It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.
Erno Rubik

Postby KrazyJeff » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks for the replies.  I just made my order for the other one.  I read though at a site that those tend to start out smooth and good, but after a while of usage, they tend to break down.  Read here: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1665

I did leave my review at amazon.com about this cube.  At least other buyers are made aware that the cube has it's issues. http://www.amazon.com/Rubiks-Revenge-Cube-X-4/dp/B000R6RETW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1221792759&sr=8-3

KrazyJeff

Postby Erno Rubik » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:04 pm

The cube will start breaking down after about 6 to 12 months.
At that time, it's still barely noticeable, so you should be good for a while.
You can prevent this (somewhat) by sanding (just a bit).
Don't overdo it, though.

-Erno
Erno Rubik

Postby KrazyJeff » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:00 pm

I received today my 4x4 Eastsheen Cube.  What a difference!  It is smooth as silk, I am able to solve the puzzle quick and effortlessly without the pieces trying to pop out or not allowing me make the turns I want.  Definitely an improvement over the 4x4 Rubik's Revenge made by Milton Bradley.

I also like the smaller size and also love the small box it came with, so I can put it there and store it when I want to put it away for a rainy day.

Erno, I did try to lube the Rubik's Revenge as instructed in many forums and youtube.com films.  But it still doesn't improve when it gets stuck when turning the sides.  It seems that the Rubik's Revenge, works against you than for you when trying to solve the puzzle.  If you don't have the Rubik's Cube squared up and aligned properly, you will have great difficulty trying to quick-solve the puzzle.  Unlike the Eastsheen version, where it never gets stuck--just like a 3x3 cube.

I hope I don't come across as just another ranter, I love the Rubik's Cube and hoping Milton Bradley finds the time to improve on their design of this cube and others...(to be continued.. since I also purchased a Rubik's 5x5 (The Professor) manufactured by Winning-Moves.  Is Winning-Moves an official Rubik's Cube company?  I didn't see in the package that it's made by Milton Bradley.  But I did notice that it says that this cube is not meant for speed-cubing.  I'll let you know when I receive it from the mail in a couple of days.

KrazyJeff

Postby Erno Rubik » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:22 pm

Well...
The 5x5 is also a bad cube, but not as bad as the Rubik's 4x4.
You might like it, but I suggest buying an Eastsheen 5x5 for competitive speedcubing.

-Erno
Erno Rubik

Postby hai2u » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:19 pm

I would suggest you stfu because you don't know what you are talking about. Here are my rankings (and this is having actually used good cubes and not being an idiot who knows nothing about cubing)

4x4:
1. Old rubik (but it needs to be broken in over a lot of time)
2. Eastsheen (but within a year it will suck so hard)
3. new rubiks (these just suck)

5x5:
v-cubes
rubiks 5x5 (with lots of time and effort)
eastsheen 5x5
hai2u

Postby KrazyJeff » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:46 pm

hai2u, Wow, you really need to work on your vocab...  Anyways, I figure that the Eastsheen is still the best deal, because if it lasts up to a year, then I can easily get another one, since it's not that expensive.  Right?

erno, you wouldn't happen to be 'thee' erno rubik?  That would be so cool.  Anyways, I am gonna follow your tip and also get a 5x5 eastsheen version.  Thanks a million for your help.

KrazyJeff

Postby TimMc » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:49 am

Of course he's not Erno Rubik.

I'd stay away from ES 5x5x5's unless you've money to waste. A worked-in Rubik's Professor is the best. Likewise, the Rubik's Revenge is superior in quality compared to the ES 4x4x4.

If you're capable of setting world records then it really doesn't matter what type of cube you're using.

Tim.
TimMc

Next

Return to General Rubik's Discussion