Timing

General discussions and topics

Timing

Postby Sepultic » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:12 pm

Alright I learned how to solve a cube about 2 weeks ago, and my current average of 10 cubes is ~1 minutes 35 seconds. Is this ok for someone new to this or should I learn new algorithms before I get too used to these ones? If I should, what algorithms do you recommend?
Sepultic

Re: Timing

Postby TomZ » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:32 pm

If you feel like learning new algorithms, I suggest you try learning some for the last layer, as the last layer most beginner use is really time consuming and inefficient.

This website, http://www.learn2cube.com/beginners/step4.php, describes how you can do the last layer in four steps. This approach will allow you to solve the last layer in four algorithm, but the page shows you a simplified way of doing it, using the same algorithm twice for other cases.

The fun part is that one you have learnt the few algorithms require to solve the last layer like so, you can add new algorithms and keep getting faster.
TomZ

Re: Timing

Postby borginator2 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:05 pm

I'm not sure, but I find it's faster to fix your corners first:

Swap two left corners - U2, L', U, R, U', L, U, R'.  Keep doing, adjusting what is on the left until done.  It shouldn't take more than 3 times to do this.

Rotate two left corners - L', U2, L, U, L', U, L  then the same on the other side:  R, U2, R', U', R, U', R'.  This will not take long either.

Then permutate edges in the normal way.

Thoughts?
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Return to General Rubik's Discussion