"Trick" or "Unsolvable" cubes...?

General discussions and topics

"Trick" or "Unsolvable" cubes...?

Postby 2891sj » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:56 am

I have an old cube from my great-grandparents' collection. It does not seem to be quite right. On the home page here, it says the center cube colors are always opposite of each other (white opposite yellow; orange opposite red; green opposite blue). Well, my cube is not even close to that. It has all those colors, but none of them match like they say they should. Also, when I follow the 'cross' method, I can solve it 1/3 of the way, but none of the colors match like they say it should either. I was just wondering if someone may have pulled a fast one and re-stickered this thing the wrong way. My grandpa would have been one to do that.

Or, can it still be solved no matter what pattern the colors are in?
2891sj

Re: "Trick" or "Unsolvable" cubes...?

Postby TomZ » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:02 am

Your cube is just fine. The relation of the stickers on the center faces varies greatly over different cubes. The website just describes the cube colours like they use them today.

Solving the cube is most likely possible.
TomZ

Postby borginator2 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:04 am

If you get too frustrated, you could always buy another set of stickers and redo the lot.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby Neodoescubes » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:09 am

Your cube could be arranged wrong. Try taking it apart and assembling it correctly, sramble, then resolve. If you CAN'T fix it, it is messed up.
Neodoescubes

Return to General Rubik's Discussion