How to solve Void Cube Parity Errors

General discussions and topics

Re: How to solve Void Cube Parity Errors

Postby borginator2 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:01 pm

M is the middle (vertical) slice going through the centres F, B, D and U. I'm not sure which is M and Mi (or M' as I call it). I normally call M a rotation so the F centre is rotated until it is on the U face.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby Sharkretriver » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Borg rotating like that is called x in WCA notation, I think. M would be to rotate that middle slice in the same direction as L.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby Zeotor » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:54 pm

jdiamond wrote:I have a Rubik's Void with two opposite edges in the final layer with positions swapped (not flipped). I've tried your fix, but it ends up messing up the cube and not fixing the error, so maybe I'm not applying it right, or maybe you need different fixes for different states...

F2 U' F2 U F2 U' M U F2 U2 M U M' F2 U F2 switches UF and UB. It won't change anything else on a Void Cube.
4.png
4.png (13.34 KiB) Viewed 3582 times

jdiamond wrote:Can you describe your definition of M and Mi

In the algorithm that I just gave, M is a move of the Middle layer (between R and L), in the same direction as an L turn. I used M' instead of Mi.

jdiamond wrote:I have also had a void parity issue where two opposite edges are flipped, but the situation can't be undone by the standard final layer moves.
None of this happens on a normal cube, only on the void.

The following image shows what (M U M U M U2)(M' U M' U M' U2) does.
3.png
3.png (8.15 KiB) Viewed 3582 times

Only two edges are flipped; this can happen on a normal cube.
Zeotor

Postby Npham » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:53 pm

just take out the pieces and put them in the original position for god's sake!
Npham

Postby jdiamond » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:19 am

Npham wrote:just take out the pieces and put them in the original position for god's sake!

Have you seen a void? It's not like a cube. Even if I could ever get one back together again, I don't think it would ever be the same. :)

But you can't seriously believe that the Rubik's folks will never come up with an instruction manual for solving a void... I sure hope not at least.
jdiamond

Postby jdiamond » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:25 am

Zeotor wrote:
jdiamond wrote:I have a Rubik's Void with two opposite edges in the final layer with positions swapped (not flipped). I've tried your fix, but it ends up messing up the cube and not fixing the error, so maybe I'm not applying it right, or maybe you need different fixes for different states...

F2 U' F2 U F2 U' M U F2 U2 M U M' F2 U F2 switches UF and UB. It won't change anything else on a Void Cube.

The following image shows what (M U M U M U2)(M' U M' U M' U2) does.
Only two edges are flipped; this can happen on a normal cube.

Thanks so much... I'm wondering if the first solution is all I need? OK, time to get the void parity error again and if it's not one of these two I'll come back and ask again. Thanks SO much for the help. :)

- Jeff
jdiamond

Postby Zeotor » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:40 pm

jdiamond wrote:Thanks so much... I'm wondering if the first solution is all I need? OK, time to get the void parity error again and if it's not one of these two I'll come back and ask again. Thanks SO much for the help. :)

- Jeff

No problem.

Only the first solution is needed for the void cube. The other one is a regular 3x3x3 situation.

To see that they work, click the play/triangle button on the following pages. They will show the solutions being performed.

F2 U' F2 U F2 U' M U F2 U2 M U M' F2 U F2
With this one, only the two edges and four centers are affected. The Void Cube doesn't have centers. So, only the two edges are moved.

(M U M U M U2)(M' U M' U M' U2)
This one only affects the two edges; nothing else is changed. This shows that just two edges can be flipped on a normal Rubik's cube. Since it can happen on a traditional 3x3x3 (and it doesn't involve centers), it can happen on a Void Cube.
Zeotor

Postby rubix master » Fri May 17, 2013 11:59 pm

what does M mean
rubix master

Postby borginator2 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:10 am

Middle slice, between L and R
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby Kajashey » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:47 pm

A shorter alg that is also a top layer destroyer.

M2' U M' U' M2'

Fixes void cube parity but changes around and misorients all the upper layer edges while leaving the corners alone.
Kajashey

Previous

Return to General Rubik's Discussion