slow?

General discussions and topics

slow?

Postby Brock4560 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:07 am

Do I solve the cube slow? I am a beginner cuber and I have only owned the cube for like a month.
My record is 3:16 and I think I am bad at solving the cube, but I want your guys' opinion. Here is the link to see me solve the cube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E14SGryxN-Q
Brock4560

Re: slow?

Postby Zeotor » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:21 pm

I see "slow" or "fast" as a comparison thing. What may be slow for one person, could be fast for another. If you practice, you will get faster.

Here are some suggestions that may help you get faster.

When you are looking for a piece, you could have a set way to look for it. For example, when you're looking for a piece for the cross, you could start by looking in the bottom layer, then the middle layer, and then the top layer. If you do something like this, it could help you find pieces faster because you don't look in the same place twice.

When you are placing corners for the first layer, you could look at the colors on the piece and the spot where it might go. If it goes there, then put it in. If it doesn't, you can check another spot. It takes time to put a piece in incorrectly and then have to fix what you did wrong.

Also, I was wondering what method you used to get the last layer's colors facing up? I couldn't tell from the video. I might be able to suggest a better method.
Zeotor

Postby Brock4560 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:54 pm

I use the beginners method (official solving video) Is there a quicker method?
Brock4560

Postby Zeotor » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:10 am

There are ways to do that step that faster. A commonly used method for that step is called OLL. OLL, a step of a more advanced method, has an algorithm for each situation that you could encounter. After that algorithm is done, all of the last layer's colors face up; this is called orienting the last layer.

A much easier to learn version of OLL is 2-look OLL. This approach completes the orientation step using two sequences of moves (algorithms) instead of one. Doing it this way, you only have to know 10 algorithms; full OLL uses 57. If you want to know more about it, you can watch this video tutorial by heiowge: Part 1, Part 2. There is a third part that goes over 2-Look PLL.

Hope this helps.
Zeotor

Postby Sharkretriver » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:07 pm

Brock4560 wrote:I use the beginners method (official solving video) Is there a quicker method?

Just keep working on using that method,
and maybe learn fingertricks,
and learn to not pause between (like solve AND look for next piece at same time)
i think it's possible for you to get all the way down to a minute just by that method
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Return to General Rubik's Discussion