Does this spray work?

General discussions and topics

Does this spray work?

Postby skeletonboy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi, I just wanted to ask if this silicone spray will work for lubing Rubik's Cube. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en

If it doesn't work, what would be a good silicone spray for lubing the cube?

Thanks.
skeletonboy

Re: Does this spray work?

Postby borginator2 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:32 pm

I think so. Check it's 100% silicone first though. If not, I wouldn't use it.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby skeletonboy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:37 pm

I heard that bike gear oil also works. Is this true?
skeletonboy

Postby Sharkretriver » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:10 pm

I wouldn't use that NOR would I use bike gear oil.
the 3-in-1 is a product by wd40, which uses petroleum in their sprays, thus worsening your cube. I would use this:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/AutoFluidsChemicals/LubricantsPenetrants/PRDOVR~0381551P/Jig-a-Loo+Lubricant.jsp?locale=en
Also, I found out that 3-in-1 was bad for your cube...the hard way...I still have the can in the dusty basement.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby skeletonboy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:11 pm

Oh, thank you! I was just looking for that Jig-a-Loo. It's cheaper than the 3-in-1 too.
skeletonboy

Postby winston61 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:55 pm

ALL aerosol silicone sprays contain hydrocarbon(petroleum) solvents that will melt plastics. You are better of with a silicone oil or silicone grease. If you use spray silicone, make sure that after you spray the pieces of your cube you do not handle them until the spray is thoroughly dry. If you spray only the pivots of the center pieces, hold a cloth under the pivot to catch drips and then begin turning the pivots as soon as you spray them. Remember, a tiny bit of lube goes a long way, so be stingy with whatever lube you use, but especially with sprays.
winston61

Postby Sharkretriver » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:23 pm

winston61 wrote:If you use spray silicone, make sure that after you spray the pieces of your cube you do not handle them until the spray is thoroughly dry.

If you don't twist the cube until the jigaloo is dry (assuming you're only taking one piece out and spraying into core) you'll get glued pieces.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby winston61 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:15 pm

Sharkretriver wrote:
winston61 wrote:If you use spray silicone, make sure that after you spray the pieces of your cube you do not handle them until the spray is thoroughly dry.

If you don't twist the cube until the jigaloo is dry (assuming you're only taking one piece out and spraying into core) you'll get glued pieces.

when you have taken the cube apart, don't reassemble till the pieces are dry, if you only spray pivots, turn right after spraying.
winston61

Postby skeletonboy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:09 am

I think winston is assuming fully taking the cube apart and sweeping it with silicone spray. But winston, people have been using silicone spray for years with no sign of wearing out whatsoever. If it does melt, I guess that's like 1 millionth of an atom size melt (exaggeration), it really wont affect the cube much if at all noticable.
skeletonboy

Return to General Rubik's Discussion