Help authenticating an original cube..

General discussions and topics

Help authenticating an original cube..

Postby techdag » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi all,

I am hoping to tap into someone's expertise with authenticating an original Rubik's Cube.

The story :- Ive been a Rubik's Cube fan since I got my first one in 1981, when they were released in Australia. I still own this cube, minus the packaging, but its still in reasonable condition and its the one I use all the time. I also have 3 historically important cubes still in their packaging. The first one is an original 1980 USA released Ideal cube in the round plastic packaging, with the big silver 1980 toy of the year sticker on it.. The next one is the 25th Anniversary Cube (2005) with the 3d Hexagon Packaging and the 1980 - 2005 printed on the logo in the centre of the white face of the cube. The 3rd one is the 30th Anniversary cube (2010) in the flat packed boring plastic packaging with the yellow sticker on it saying "1980-2010 30 years".. These 3 cubes I know are authentic..

here is my problem.. My friend has just returned from a holiday in Hungary and knowing I am a cube fan, brought back for me an original Politechnika Buvos Kocka cube!. He gave it to me yesterday as an early Christmas present.. All he will tell me is he was looking in antique stores in Budapest and bought it from one of them..

So I would like to find out if its the real deal...

The packaging is light blue cardboard box with the hole in the top, exactly the same as the one pictured in the history of the cube all in Hungarian (no english), here on rubies.com website...
The cube itself has no logo stickers on it at all It doesn't have really smooth movement, bit tight and sticks a bit.. but apart from that, the only thing I can see which is different from my other cubes, is the stickers on this one are square (don't have rounded corners) and are nearly the same size as the black plastic.. (the stickers go nearly to the black edges of the cube pieces)

I seriously don't want to pull this cube apart, because If it is original, I don't want to break it..

Can anyone help me?
techdag

Re: Help authenticating an original cube..

Postby borginator2 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:11 pm

I'm no expert at authenticating it, but I'd say if you're looking for that, you'll need to supply pictures. Can you provide decent quality ones? Good luck. :D
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Re: Help authenticating an original cube..

Postby cuber99 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:58 pm

http://www.speedcubing.com/ in Ton's puzzle collection

Rubik's 02 Politechinca Hungary 1980

light blue cardboard box with the hole in the top too and without logo. Good luck

contact him

GG
cuber99

Return to General Rubik's Discussion