2x2 sizes and disassembly advice

General discussions and topics

2x2 sizes and disassembly advice

Postby rubixrich » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:25 am

Hey all,
recently got into cubing and can now solve the 2x2, 3x3 & 4x4. My questions to you are:
1) I've broken 2 2x2s taking them apart to lube them. From the sounds of what I read online, it's not always helpful to lube the 2x2. What do you guys think? I find It very stiff and its really frustrating. Any ways to loosen it up besides taking it apart and sanding or lubing?
2) the 2x2s I broke I bought at toys r us and they were significantly smaller than my 3x3. However, I just received a new 2x2 that I ordered from this site And it is the exact size as my 3x3. Do you think I will have better luck taking this one apart or should I still not risk it?
And feedback would be welcomed!
Thanks in advance
rubixrich

Re: 2x2 sizes and disassembly advice

Postby Zeotor » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:30 pm

1) Using the cube for a while might help it turn better.

2) I think all 2x2s ordered from this website use the same mechanism. They all come apart the same way.

You may have tried to disassemble the other 2x2s the wrong way. This YouTube video by MeMyselfAndPi shows how to take a Rubik's 2x2 apart. He shows the first step at 0:40. If you tried to take them apart that way, and they broke, I wouldn't advise trying to take another one apart.

Hope this helps.
Zeotor

Return to General Rubik's Discussion