3x3 model (2:1 scale)

General discussions and topics

3x3 model (2:1 scale)

Postby themodelhub » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:34 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum and am after any advice to help me with my current project.
I'm a modelmaker, wanting to make a commemorative model to celebrate the Rubik's Cube - the original 3x3 is such a recognisable, classic design and I've always loved having mine and my mirror cube hanging round the studio (when my university work isn't going well I complete them again so I feel like a winner haha).

The plan is to 3D model exact replicas of the outer components (corner, edge, centre pieces), print these out twice as big (2:1 scale), make moulds of the printed pieces and cast them in a crystal clear material.

That's the easy bit.

So far I have disassembled my 3x3 in order to take all the measurements I need from the pieces but I’m having real trouble getting into the inner mechanism. I’ve seen exploded diagrams of the inner section on the web but there’s nothing like having the real thing to make it as accurate as possible… Obviously if I’m copying the Rubik’s cube exactly then in theory it should be a working model when finished!

Does anyone know if there’s a way to disassemble the mechanism so that it can possibly be re-assembled afterwards? If not I don’t mind destroying my old cube if it means being able to look at the inner-workings!

If anyone has any info on this that would be awesome, thanks :mrgreen:

Emily.H
The ModelHub
themodelhub

Re: 3x3 model (2:1 scale)

Postby borginator2 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:04 am

Standard storebought Rubik's cubes have a rivited core and the caps on the centre pieces are glued down. What you need is a DIY cube. They can be bought here as well as other shops (for non Rubik's brand), but please don't ask me to supply names on this forum ;)

The alternate to that is to buy a core and screws. Those same other shops will probably help here as well, but for what you need, I think a Rubik's DIY is just what you need. Check this site's STORE link above.

***edit*** They're called "Assembly kits" and are available in black or white plastic for about £7-8 plus shipping.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby themodelhub » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks very much - I'll start there!

:)
themodelhub

Postby borginator2 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:36 am

You're welcome. Good luck.

Oh, and if possible, we'd love to see pics of the finished one (or even some of the build pics if you're able). :D
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby themodelhub » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:23 pm

Of course, definitely!

Am starting around 16th April so I'll be posting from then hopefully - watch this space :)
themodelhub

Return to General Rubik's Discussion