faster methods and sodokube

General discussions and topics

faster methods and sodokube

Postby Idemash » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:53 am

Hi everyone,

I've just joined this site after being baffled for a while by a Sodokube but while I'm here I'd also ask a few questions about solving a standard one. (Apologies if I am repeating previous posts, I'm accessing via a smart phone and would take ages to read lots of previous threads!)

Firstly, on a standard 3x3 cube I use the standard beginners method (I think) apart from on the first face where I use my own method I made myself when I was a child (don't know if it has a name, its very quick and easy though...) Anyways... I'm wondering which other methods there are to do it faster and if you could point me towards any algorithms.

Secondly, I have recently came across a Sodokube which I'm attempting to solve and I have a few questions... Is it correct that all numbers have to be the same way up?... As I have done a drawn out on paper solution in which the numbers are randomly arranged on each side... following this I can complete the first and second layer but the cross on the top layer has two cubes in the wrong place no matter what I do.. I need and algorithm to swap the top edge with the left edge on the cross... Any ideas?... The usual algorithm for correcting the edge pieces doesn't seem to move them...

If the pieces all have to be the same way up I'm having trouble conceiving how I would begin to solve this even on paper... Any tips? I tried drawing it out various ways but it just doesn't seem to work....
Idemash

Re: faster methods and sodokube

Postby Sharkretriver » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:40 pm

Other methods for 3x3x3: Friedrich, Petrus, Roux. Those three are known to be fast, and you can get as low as 10 seconds with any of them as long as you practise a heck lot.
As for the sudokube: Is it one of those hard-to-turn dollar store cubes?
http://anttila.ca/michael/sudokube/SolvedSudokube1.jpg Yep all the faces have to be oriented properly. You need to search up a supercube tutorial for that.
If you only need to swap top edge with left and nothing else then you probably put one of the edges in first or second layer when it should be in the last layer.
Sudokubes look hard, and I've never tried one. Good luck solving it!
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby Zeotor » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:47 pm

Idemash wrote:If the pieces all have to be the same way up I'm having trouble conceiving how I would begin to solve this even on paper... Any tips? I tried drawing it out various ways but it just doesn't seem to work....

There are two different Sodukube layouts that I know of. With one of them, the arrangement of the numbers is the same on each side. With the other one, the arrangement is different.
Zeotor

Postby dward » Fri May 18, 2012 3:15 pm

Idemash wrote:Hi everyone,

I've just joined this site after being baffled for a while by a Sodokube but while I'm here I'd also ask a few questions about solving a standard one. (Apologies if I am repeating previous posts, I'm accessing via a smart phone and would take ages to read lots of previous threads!)

Firstly, on a standard 3x3 cube I use the standard beginners method (I think) apart from on the first face where I use my own method I made myself when I was a child (don't know if it has a name, its very quick and easy though...) Anyways... I'm wondering which other methods there are to do it faster and if you could point me towards any algorithms.

Secondly, I have recently came across a Sodokube which I'm attempting to solve and I have a few questions... Is it correct that all numbers have to be the same way up?... As I have done a drawn out on paper solution in which the numbers are randomly arranged on each side... following this I can complete the first and second layer but the cross on the top layer has two cubes in the wrong place no matter what I do.. I need and algorithm to swap the top edge with the left edge on the cross... Any ideas?... The usual algorithm for correcting the edge pieces doesn't seem to move them...

If the pieces all have to be the same way up I'm having trouble conceiving how I would begin to solve this even on paper... Any tips? I tried drawing it out various ways but it just doesn't seem to work....

hey, your ideas is great.
I like Rubik's Cube, it always make me fun
dward

Return to General Rubik's Discussion