Why is my cube different?

General discussions and topics

Why is my cube different?

Postby blue lightning » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:18 am

For some reason the centre colours are totally different than what they are meant to be. I've had it for well over 20 years and still haven't done it so I looked at some sites that tell you how to solve but the colours are totally wrong. I've looked at loads of pictures and the colours are all different to mine.

Pic...
The colour on the top is actually red, the red and orange look the same in the picture for some reason. Blue is opposite white, orange is opposite red, green is opposite yellow.

Is there a reason its different, is it forein, or unofficial or something like that? Theres no brand name / logo or anything like on it like others have...

And no I dont want to take it apart
blue lightning

Re: Why is my cube different?

Postby borginator2 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:19 pm

That scheme is sometimes called the Japanese scheme. I have a couple of cubes in that colour. Rubiks 2x2s tend to use it, and I also have a Rubiks 4x4 in that scheme.

Not sure if it's genuine Rubiks. There's no logo so I would have thought not. Either way, that scheme isn't the regular scheme, but neither is it unheard of.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby speedcuber4221 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Like what Borginator2 said, it doesn't have a Rubik's logo on it, but you said that you got it over 20 years ago, and as far I know, they had a different color scheme back then.
Your cube is calling for you.
speedcuber4221

Postby blue lightning » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:09 pm

No idea how I ended up with japanese one. Does it still work the same, can I still solve in the same way? Forgot to mention but it is very stiff and locks up and sometimes have to turn all the way round in the opposite way. And sometimes sounds like what sounds like rusty springs inside, I had just put that down to age...
blue lightning

Postby borginator2 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:58 am

A japanese scheme doesn't mean a japanese cube. It's just what the scheme is called since most Japanese Rubiks cubes use that scheme. Solving is identical regardless of the scheme. Just remember that if a guide says solve the white cross, if it later says solve the yellow one, in your case they mean the blue one. If it makes you feel better, buy a new set of stickers for it! :lol:

As for the stiffness etc... that's probably down to age, although most Rubiks storebought cubes are very hit & miss with their stiffness.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby blue lightning » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:45 am

OK I will see what I can do, cheers :)
blue lightning

Return to General Rubik's Discussion