new design 3x3 stickerless Rubik's cube in all its glory

General discussions and topics

new design 3x3 stickerless Rubik's cube in all its glory

Postby NanoSurfer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:38 am

So, my whole reason for posting this is because I'm sick and tired of there being little to none information ANYWHERE on the net (trust me, I've searched) for the new 3x3 Rubik's branded cube with the new ball core. If I am wrong then please kindly point me to a site that does speak about it but Google searches doesn't show up much at all. I know the (somewhat irritating) flash video on the home page of this site does showcase it and it shows the ball core but the edge and corner pieces are a mystery! Luckily Borginator made a nice YouTube clip about it but nowhere have I seen the thing being taken apart or what it looks like in detail on the inside!

So what I did a few weeks ago was put some silicone paste which unfortunately had a high viscosity in-between the cracks of my cube to help lubricate it. And although the method worked really well, it unfortunately made my cube feel a bit gunky inside and I could feel it wasn't as nice as what silicone spray would have made it. I searched EVERYWHERE on the net to find out if it would be possible to take the thing apart as it is extremely difficult to do so on this new cube (the old design was a piece of cake to take apart, but not this cube!)

So I decided that I was going to get it apart and clean it up even if it meant breaking it because I was prepared to buy another one if it did. I'll be completely honest here in saying that I likely will never attempt to do it again because oh my goodness did I struggle to get it apart, but even more so getting it back together again! I don't think this cube was ever designed to be taken apart but I did manage to get it right by removing one of the corner pieces. Anyway, its too difficult to describe how I did it but I will say that this is one tough mother of a cube!! This thing really is well made and its a big step up from the previous 3x3. it felt like it should've broken a few times but the plastic is super tough!

So finally, here are some picks of how this cube really looks in all its naked glory, Enjoy :D

rubiksOne1.jpg
rubiksOne1.jpg (241.57 KiB) Viewed 5767 times

RubiksCornerPiece2.jpg
RubiksCornerPiece2.jpg (243.09 KiB) Viewed 5767 times

MysteriousCorner.jpg
MysteriousCorner.jpg (241.85 KiB) Viewed 5767 times

Oh well, I have more pics but I can only upload 3 :?

PS: I did get it back together again, but it took me an hour to figure it out! I'm really surprised that it didn't break :D The quality is truly impressive!
NanoSurfer

Re: new design 3x3 stickerless Rubik's cube in all its glory

Postby ANTIDEAD » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Looks pretty good... when are these coming out? Been trying to find where to order one with no luck.
ANTIDEAD

Postby NirajAgrawal » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:51 am

The stickerless cubes are abundantly available in all the retail shops in India. Not sure if Flipkart have policies to parcel International customers.

***Admin edit*** The link was allowed at time of posting because they weren't sold by rubiks here, but since they now do, I can allow the site name but not the link. Sorry.

Niraj
NirajAgrawal

Postby Zeotor » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:37 am

ANTIDEAD wrote:Looks pretty good... when are these coming out? Been trying to find where to order one with no luck.

They are now available in the Rubik's Store - https://www.rubiks.com/shop/product.php?pid=125.
Zeotor

Postby ANTIDEAD » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:36 am

Excellent I think I'll pick one up, maybe it's just me but I hate stickers. I got a regular 3x3 rubiks a short while back and it's already peeling everywhere.
ANTIDEAD

Postby NirajAgrawal » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:09 pm

I saw that the new speed version of Rubiks is also available. To buy and parcel in India will cost almost twice the price of the cube itself.
Really eager to see when it will be launched in India.
Niraj
NirajAgrawal

Postby DoubleE » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:50 pm

I bought and dissambled it but couldn't get it back together. It has been like, a week and I am still working on it. Since you managed to assemble it back if you were to tell us how to do it, it would be reeally big help! :(
DoubleE

Postby Zrirak » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:09 pm

I bought one too about 2 months ago in Belguim. I wanted to lube it which I've done but, I can't assemble it. The new version is extremely hard to assemble! Any tips?
Zrirak

Postby jesse » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi there I Have just bought one of these cubes and im waiting for it to arive I was wondering when you broke it apart did it have any lubrication already inside from the factory ?? Thanks
jesse

Return to General Rubik's Discussion