What's next ?

General discussions and topics

What's next ?

Postby Sala33 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:50 am

I'm just getting into cubing and can do the 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6. I wanted to try something else. What's a good next step? Gear cube, xcube???? Nothing too much harder than what I can do now.
Sala33

Re: What's next ?

Postby Zeotor » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:25 am

If depends on where you want to go with cubing.

If you are looking for another puzzle to solve in World Cube Association monitored competitions, I would say either the megaminx or the Pyraminx.

Solving the megaminx is very similar to solving the 3x3; there is just a lot more to solve. I would only consider it a little harder to solve than the 3x3. Solving the Pyraminx is slightly different than solving NxNxNs (such as the 3x3 and 6x6). It is a very simple puzzle though. I would consider it much easier to solve than the 3x3.

It is different if you are looking for puzzles to solve. By this I mean, you want to figure out how to solve the puzzle yourself. Your aim when solving a puzzle isn't necessarily to solve it quickly.

The axis cube and the 3x3x4 are two good choices. The axis cube is a common puzzle that is in a different shape. Once you find out what you need to do, figuring out how to do it can be tricky. The 3x3x4 looks like a 3x3x3 with an extra layer. It is similar to an NxNxN in how pieces move. However, it solves a little bit differently.

The gear cube would be a good choice too. I'm not sure about the X-Cube though. It may be difficult to solve, but I'm not sure.

Lastly, I would recommend reading this blog post that someone made.
Zeotor

Re: What's next ?

Postby Sala33 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:48 am

Thanks so much for your advice. I will definitely look at ur recos. The megaminx looks awesome.
Sala33

Return to General Rubik's Discussion