Q&A For Beginner Solvers

Older threads and posts

Q&A For Beginner Solvers

Postby bcrubiksmaster » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:05 am

Hello, I just thought that since so many new cubers are getting stuck, I could kinda help them along. Ask any questions about the cube, and I will help you the best I can.

-BC Rubiksmaster

bcrubiksmaster

Re: Q&A For Beginner Solvers

Postby SHADOS3RP3NT » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:08 am

hey im just starting out and have successfully solved the cube with the layer by layer method. this works fine and i can do it consistently but i was wondering if you could send me some links to websites that would explain how to solve the cube in other ways. Hopefully i can find one thats even better and give me something to do when im bored. any help would be awesome. very sorry if im reposting but i just got an account today and this thread seemed like it would be the quickest way to answer my question.
SHADOS3RP3NT

Postby bcrubiksmaster » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:42 am

You came to the right thread. I will give you the best advice I can.

Right now, you need to make a choice about what kind of solver you want to be. You can use an intuitive method, or a method that will take a lot of algorithm-memorizing.

If you want to take the first option, intuitive-style, you can choose one of these methods:

1.The Roux Method

2. The Petrus Method

They are both very intuitive.

If you like memorizing algorithms, you can  use this method:

Fridrich F2L-(part 1)(part 2) This method will increase your time by about a minute at first, but after a while, your time will decrease significantly. It will take a long time to get used to, but it solves the first layer corners and the middle layer at the same time.

After you learn Fridrich F2L, you need to learn Fridrich OLL and PLL (Orientation of the Last Layer and Permutation of the Last Layer).

OLL Instructive Video

PLL Instructive Video

List of OLLs

List of PLLs

After you learn OLL and PLL, you can progress to these methods:

2-Look OLL

2-Look PLL

I hope this helped you. Also, here are some more helpful links for you, just like you asked.

How to Become a Speedcuber

How to Get Faster

How to Get Faster Part 2

Cube Glossary

GabbaSoft

CubeTimer

SpeedSolving Forums

Joëls Speedcubing Page

Thank you for coming to my thread, and I hope this info is a lot of help.

Keep Cubing!

-BC Rubiksmaster

bcrubiksmaster

Postby BLD » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:39 am

Note: if you're going the Fridrich path don't just blindly start memorizing algorithms. For F2L especially, once you figure out the general principles of how it works and what you're trying to do, it's pretty easy to figure out most of the F2L cases intuitively, rather than grinding algorithms.

Do learn the 21 PLLs, they're very useful and will result in considerable improvement on your times. While you're at it, learn the OLL algs for the cases where the cross is already oriented. There should be 7 of them.

The remaining 50 or so OLLs aren't as important. It is possible to get to sub-20 using a 2-step OLL. Learning the rest of the OLLs is more helpful when you're in the 20 second range (or even faster). Until then, focus on getting your F2L time down.

Remember that the important thing is not to just learn as many algs as you can. It's to practice, practice, practice. Learn to look ahead, anticipate what's coming up, and reduce the time it takes for you to recognize a case and react with the corresponding algorithms.
BLD

Postby bcrubiksmaster » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:43 am

Thx for the input, BLD.

-BC Rubiksmaster

bcrubiksmaster

Postby upgrade » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:47 am

Finger tricks help out alot also

-edit- take a look at this site also

http://www.ryanheise.com/cube/heise_method.html

upgrade

Postby jarjar1212 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:15 pm

This really helped!!! Thanks!!

(note: I'm not a beginner and it still helped!!)

jarjar1212

Postby bcrubiksmaster » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:11 pm

No problem. -BC Rubiksmaster
bcrubiksmaster

Postby SHADOS3RP3NT » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:46 am

wow this sounds like its going to be a lot of work. or fun. or both. either way itll keep me busy for a while.  one more thing though.  How do i know if im an intuitive solver or if i like to memorize?  should i try both methods? and am i ready to learn more advanced methods if i only started to cube recently? my best time with the layer by layer is 1:42.83.  thanks so much i never expected to get this much info! you rock!

SHADOS3RP3NT

Postby bcrubiksmaster » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 am

I'm glad I could help.

You should try which both methods to see which one is best for you. I suggest that you get your time to less than 1:30 before you start learning a new method.

While you're doing that, check out this advice I gave to JarJar1212:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Lubricate your cube. One important thing: Do not over-lubricate!

2. Use Finger Tricks(part 1)(part 2) to get faster.

3. Learn Shortcut Algorithms, such as this one. Search around and you'll find others.

3b. Watch some videos on Blindfold Cubing(part 1)(part 2). Use the algorithms mentioned in the videos as shortcuts.

4.Time yourself regularly and set goals to get a certain time (such as from 1:45 to 1:40) the next time you solve.

5. Bring your Rubik's Cube with you wherever you go. Tinker with it, solve at a slow pace, try to invent algorithms, or just memorize the color scheme. The more familiar you are with your cube, the easier it will be to solve it faster.

6. Talk to others about the cube. They can give you useful hints, tips, and even shortcut algorithms.

7. If you need advice about any kind of cube, or you just want some tips, talk to me. I am almost always on these forums, and I am always known as bcrubiksmaster (BC Rubiksmaster).

I hope that this helps.

-BC Rubiksmaster

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps, SHADOS3RP3NT.

-BC Rubiksmaster

bcrubiksmaster

Next

Return to Rubik's Forum Archive