Picture cube revisited

Older threads and posts

Picture cube revisited

Postby heiowge » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:05 am

Hi guys.  Had a cube when I was about 7 (when the craze first hit the UK) and never managed to solve more than a side.

My parents bought me a cube from Ireland with these 'Wacky Woolies' (cartoon sheep) on each face.  My daughter mixed it up and my wife (who now regrets it) says that I should learn to solve it.

2 weeks later, I can solve it (I know - you probably learned in 10 mins, but give us codgers some points for effort!).

I'm not brilliant.  I still need a good 5 or 10 mins, but I'm sure I'll get better.

I use a layer method, finishing with place the corners, rotate them and then fix the edges of the last layer.

What I want to know is how to solve the sheep.  They're all done except the centres and every guide I get uses unfamiliar terms.

I use UDLRFB and U'D'L'R'F'B' for my faces and directions.  Anything else just throws me.

I'm sure that'll change with time, but for the moment, can anyone assist with those centres?

Ta.
heiowge

Re: Picture cube revisited

Postby bcrubiksmaster » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:47 am

I'll research and get back to you, but for right now, go over to the 'Moderator Voting' thread to vote for who you think should be moderator.

-BC Rubiksmaster

bcrubiksmaster

Postby Sean Adamson » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:52 pm

Can u clarify how many layers have u completely solved and then I can help.
Sean Adamson

Postby heiowge » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:54 pm

I can solve all 3 layers but I seem to solve the last layer a little differently to most.
heiowge

Postby Sean Adamson » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:12 pm

Does the centre on the top layer need turning either 90degrees clockwise, 90degrees counter-clockwise or 180degrees.

Oh and this isn't vital but if u can, post a picture of the top layer of your cube. It will make my explanation easier 2 understand.

Sean Adamson

Postby heiowge » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:58 pm

Most of the layers need the centres rotating.  I'll post a nice set of pics later (wife has camera and she's out atm).

What I was hoping for was a way to rotate the centres of a completed cube without messing it up.  Does your method work this way?  If not, how do I deal with the other faces?

Cheers
heiowge

Postby upgrade » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:23 am

See if this link helps out. I believe that this is what you want. 

http://www.alchemistmatt.com/cube/rubikcenter.html

upgrade

Postby heiowge » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:58 am

[IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b119/heiowge/2YellowBlueOrange.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b119/heiowge/1RedWhiteGreen.jpg[/IMG]

On my cube, white is opposite blue, yellow opposite green and red orange.

I'll look at that link after tea and let you know.  Ta.
heiowge

Postby upgrade » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:07 am

the link does use some non standard notation but you are using the middle slice so you would need notation for that its pretty easy to follow. if you still cant solve it you could always take it apart and put it back together lol. or scramble it and start over
upgrade

Postby heiowge » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:19 am

Had a spare minute or 2.  Looked at the link.  It was one I found myself earlier, but had abandoned for the reason of the notation used.

I'm used to BFLRUD and inverted (or prime or whatever!).

Anyone know what to do?
heiowge

Next

Return to Rubik's Forum Archive