different methods

Older threads and posts

different methods

Postby modaman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:49 am

i have learnt the layer method which method is the best

modaman

Re: different methods

Postby borg57 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:31 pm

The Fridrich method is the fastest, then the Lars Petrus Method.
Look at these methods and decide witch is best for you.
Lars- http://www.lar5.com/cube/index.html
Fridrich- http://www.cubefreak.net/speedcubing.html
Idk about the Roux method- http://grrroux.free.fr/method/Intro.html
borg57

Postby TimMc » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:51 pm

Hi,

You can solve the Rubik's Cube in less than 20 seconds with the following methods:
- Beginners (Layer By Layer)
- Fridrich
- Petrus
- Heise

I'd recommend learning Beginners (Layer By Layer) first. This will allow you to familiarize yourself with solving the cube. After you become confident with the Beginners method and reach a stage where you're turning the pieces as fast as you can and still find that it's slow, I'd recommend learning Fridrich.

World records have been set with the Fridrich method so its been proven to be fast. However, there are far more advanced methods available that involve hundreds of algorithms for optimal solving; these methods are practical for the average human - you'd have to be a sauvant to memorize all the algorithms and know when to apply them.

The the Fridrich method a lot more common among speed cubers so you're likely to get more help when it comes to learning it. The method may go straight over your head if you don't understand the notation. Another reason I recommend learning Beginners first is because you wont get much sympathy or help with learning how to do the Cross and F2L. Most would assume that this should be intuitive and that the best way to improve those steps is to practice! :-)

See:
- Learning Cube Notation

Links:
- speedsolving.com
- speedcubing.com

Hope that helps,
Tim.
TimMc

Postby modaman » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:29 am

thanks a lot i will try the fridich
modaman

Postby Wesche » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:22 pm

Thanks I know the first 2... now im going to try to learn the peturs and heise... thanks again
Wesche

Postby modaman » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:45 pm

i am really struggling with the fridich which site is the best to learn it from

modaman

Postby modaman » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:43 pm

oh yeah what methods do u use
modaman

Postby TimMc » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:18 am

You'll probably want to learn cube notation before learning the Fridrich method from this site:
- Cross (intuitive)
- F2L
- OLL
- PLL

Search for F2L, OLL, and PLL tutorials on YouTube if you really don't want to read all the notation.

Tim.

TimMc

Postby modaman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:59 am

thanks again tim what do u think of the algorithms it shows are they fridrich ?
modaman

Postby TimMc » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:20 am

[quote user='modaman']thanks again tim what do u think of the algorithms it shows are they fridrich ?[/quote]

Yes. However, CubeWhiz algorithms are more efficient for speed cubing. This is still open for interpretation though. Also note that CubeWhiz has listed the inverse Cases that Fridrich hasn't.

Lets compare Case #10 PLL on CubeWhiz and T Permutation on Fridrich:
- CubeWhiz (R U R' U') (R' F) (R2 U') (R' U' R U) (R' F')
- Fridrich R B U' B' U B U B2 R' B U B U' B'

As you can see, these algorithms essentially solve the same PLL Case. The frequent movements on the R U faces are a lot easier to do with the occasional F face thrown in with the CubeWhiz algorithm.
You should note that the Fridrich version is harder to execute because of its frequent use of R B U
faces.

The basic method to remember for doing Fridrich is CFOP (Corners, F2L, OLL, PLL). So if you follow that order then you can call what your doing Fridrich (correct me if I'm wrong :-P). You can use a number of different algorithms to solve the same case. This is because you can manipulate the pieces from one layer by putting them in another and moving them around and then putting them back again. It's up to you to decide which layers you'd like to do that manipulation.

Tim.
TimMc

Next

Return to Rubik's Forum Archive