DIY center caps don't stay in

Older threads and posts

DIY center caps don't stay in

Postby JasonD » Sat May 31, 2008 8:59 am

I must say, I'm extremely disappointed with the DIY cubes from rubiks.com.  The center caps do not stay in at all.  I even tried hot glue, which just makes a mess for one thing, but it doesn't help.  Any pressure or quick movement will eventually make the caps fall out.  Also, the center pieces are larger than the rest of the pieces (unlike the store-bought rubik's brand cubes, in which all cubies are the same size), so it creates a lot of friction.  The DIY are supposed to be smoother, I thought.  I have to tighten the screws so tightly to prevent the thing from falling apart in my hands during a solve, that it becomes really tight, which is normally ok since it prevents jamming during finger flicks, but because the center cubies are larger, the friction it creates is insane, making it basically unusable for speed solving.

I have bought two DIYs frm rubiks.com, and they both have all these issues, yet, I hear people highly recommended them, so I must be missing something... How do you guys deal with these DIYs?  As far as I can tell, the store boughts are better, with proper lube (and you don't have to assemble them, but you take the risk of getting a cube that's too tight, and you can't adjust it).

JasonD

Re: DIY center caps don't stay in

Postby JasonD » Sat May 31, 2008 9:10 am

If the center caps was just a cap that was hidden and held in the place by the sticker, like the old rubik's brand store bought cubes, instead of being the entire top part of the cubie, then it wouldn't get knocked out of place...

The fact that the center cubies are larger than the rest really don't pose much of a problem in terms of friction -- as long as the screws are loose enough.  It's more so that they increase the chances of the caps popping out because of the friction exposed directly to these caps themselves...
JasonD

Postby matt22matt » Sat May 31, 2008 10:12 am

i guess i wont buy a rubiks diy...
matt22matt

Postby corndawg » Sat May 31, 2008 1:48 pm

sounds like you gota problem....
corndawg

Postby JasonD » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:27 am

LOL
JasonD

Postby TomZ » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:21 pm

DIY's are fine when their tension is tuned well. As for the caps not staying in, use the paper-cap technique: you cut a square of paper just the size of the cap, and place it between the center piece and the cap. It works pretty well.
TomZ

Postby upgrade » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:25 am

you got your cubes in quick, sorry cant help with your other problems
upgrade

Postby alphacube » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:32 pm

I have heard of people glueing magnets to the center caps

I have never tried it before though

alphacube

Postby GREENDAY777 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:45 pm

Does it work?
GREENDAY777

Postby upgrade » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:09 am

i got my white diy from puzzle proz and i would recomend them to anyone. the center caps stay in very well, i wanted to adjust the tension and i had to take an xacto knife to pry out the cap.

and order more stickers too if you order from them, they dont seem to be the best stickers cheap looking to me

upgrade

Next

Return to Rubik's Forum Archive