DIY center caps don't stay in

Older threads and posts

Re: DIY center caps don't stay in

Postby JasonD » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:15 am

No, I didn't get the cubes quick... the DIYs are from a prior order.

I'll have to try the paper technique... the hot glue is just a big mess, and it doesn't work well at all.

Thanks for the suggestions for other sources, guys.
JasonD

Postby upgrade » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:08 am

oh i see about the prior order i assumed they were the cubes you ordered not long ago

it stinks about the hot glue i never tired it, the paper may work better, or you could try clear cling wrap (for food)  instead of paper may not be as thick, might not work  might work who knows

the glue didnt mess up your cube did it? im guessing not

upgrade

Postby DIYCube » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:12 am

I just got a Diy from rubiks. The caps Are as annoying as heck, but the cube is very good. paper doesnt work that well, but I emailed Dan Knights and he said to super glue with things like crazy glue or future glue somthing like that. Heres his link  http://dan.knights.googlepages.com/cube-index.html
DIYCube

Postby JasonD » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:46 am

The hot glue didn't mess up my cube, you can peel it off.  It's just really stringy, and it gets everywhere, so it's difficult to apply, but perhaps that's because I have a dollar-store hot glue gun.  Even so, I think it would be difficult to apply to just the spots that require it.  Because the caps cover the entire top of the cubie, rather than just being an insert, the place that requires the glue is all around the edge of the cubie, so the glue squeezes out when you place the cap on.  It is difficult to peel off just the little amount that squeezes out, and it's difficult to apply a constant amount of glue around the entire cap.  I think the design just doesn't make sense -- it should be an insert, like the original store bought cubes.

I'll have to try the paper or clear cling wrap, as you've mentioned.  Thanks for the tips.

I'll have to check out Dan Knights' webpage.  I can't see that super glue / crazy glue is good... after all, what if you want to adjust the tension?  But, thanks for the link, anyway.
JasonD

Postby upgrade » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:04 am

i just thought of this http://www.citizenarcane.com/index.php/archives/category/science-technology/   maybe put a little inside of the center cubie then  put the center cap on. it will take a long time to dry though, just a  thought may not work. not as permanent as super glue. and it would be easier to get the center cap back off
upgrade

Postby JasonD » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:54 am

You know, that would be less messy than hot glue, so that would probably work.

(Why can't rubiks.com just have a tutorial on how to put them together?  It's like they haven't even used their own product...)
JasonD

Postby upgrade » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:35 am

i guess they just want you to use super glue once the tension is set
upgrade

Postby JamesB » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:17 pm

Crap I just got the same problem. I used sticky-tac on all of them but ONE just wont stay in. It's freakin' annoyng.
JamesB

Previous

Return to Rubik's Forum Archive