UNDER 2 MINUTES???

Older threads and posts

Re: UNDER 2 MINUTES???

Postby HORK » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:50 am

How do you keep the corners in place if you do them first? I tried that and after doing the edges the corners were all messed up.
HORK

Postby B-fish » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:02 pm

No i was talking to the kid who says he can do it in 10 seconds
B-fish

Postby zolodon » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:29 pm

I don't see how placing the corners first would be more difficult than the centers...  There might be more moves involves if you compared them (maybe), but this way I can be assured I don't mess up corner/edge placements on off-color cubes.  I don't have to know anything about the cube or the color placements to line everything up correctly (I then match top and side edges based on the corner colors...not by examining centers).

I am still confused about whether I'm actually using 'the' LBL method or something home grown since my method is upside down from most I've seen.  Is there a defined LBL method, or is that just a descriptive term for solving one layer at a time...regardless of how?

zolodon

Postby HORK » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:47 pm

LBL refers to Layer By Layer, but if you are doing it upside down it's still LBL, though some youtube videos reccommend turning the cube upside down after the cross is made, because it makes finding the corner pieces easier. And that is hwere I said on a different post that I usually keep an eye on the corners when I make the cross - so I don't waste time trying toi hunt them down. So I guess everyone has their own little quirks to solving. But that's okay - anything that works, right?
HORK

Postby upgrade » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:06 am

for speed you should start by making the cross on the bottom then put in the corner/edge pair at the same time and then do the LL. you start with the cross on bottom so that after the F2L is done you dont spend time flipping the cube over to do the LL. (i know it only takes a sec to flip but thats a second the clock is counting)

upgrade

Postby zolodon » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:11 am

Okay...it seems my solution method once again goes against the grain since the face I solve first always remains on top...even when solving the bottom layer.

Based on some comments I've seen in this forum and in others, my approach is likely viewed as a beginner's method...yet I can typically solve the cube as fast or faster than many of the posted LBL times I've seen.  I don't think my hand movements (full hand movements without finger tricks) are any faster than others, my cube is unlubed, and I use only a few algorithms, so this confuses me.

I have no problem using a modified homegrown method for solving the 3x3x3, but I'm curious which method mine closest resembles.  I'm also trying to figure out how to go from here as I learn other methods/cubes (I am after all trying to reach sub-minute times regularly).

zolodon

Postby Rubik Master » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:14 am

[quote user='upgrade']

for speed you should start by making the cross on the bottom then put in the corner/edge pair at the same time and then do the LL. you start with the cross on bottom so that after the F2L is done you dont spend time flipping the cube over to do the LL. (i know it only takes a sec to flip but thats a second the clock is counting)

[/quote]whts LL?
Rubik Master

Postby upgrade » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:25 am

LL = last layer
upgrade

Postby jc-berger » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:58 am

is there any good sites where you can learn F2L????

jc-berger

Postby HORK » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:34 am

Something seems to be wrong with the forums - I click Quote and my post is plain, without reference to whom I am responding. Someone up there said they did LBL at first and them heard praise about F2L and...

The same thing with me. Now I don't know if I could remember the LBL algorithms. What do you think of F2L? Do you like it better and is it faster for you? It is for me. I am not really into speedcubing yet, but without doing anything else differently, F2l seems to cut my time by a third!

HORK

PreviousNext

Return to Rubik's Forum Archive