How to solve Void Cube Parity Errors

General discussions and topics

How to solve Void Cube Parity Errors

Postby rubixcuber » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:16 pm

The Void Cube has parity errors... well

I know how to solve that.

Just use this algorithm...

'S C R A M B L E - T H E N - S T A R T - S O L V I N G - A G A I N.'

For people who dont want to buy a void cube, just take out the center caps of a DIY. lol.

The parity errors are corners being switched usually, am i right?

rubixcuber

Re: How to solve Void Cube Parity Errors

Postby Oogliod Knacktid » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:00 pm

That's what I do. But make sure the centre you build the cross around is adjacent to the centre that you originally used.
Oogliod Knacktid

Postby sagrsccr » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:53 am

That algorithm is stupid...do this one instead: M U M Ui Mi Ui Mi 2U M

after that, use the alg to flip the 2 edges (which you should already know) and then parity is gone. Also, you are wrong...parity can also appear as 2 opposite edges switched. I'm not sure if 2 adjacent edges will be switched. The parity alg works by shifting the centers and messing with the top layer. However, since you dont have centers here, it only fixes parity and doesn't do anything to your cube.

EDIT: Just tried it and happened to get 2 adjacent edges swapped. So now i'm sure that 2 adjacent edges can be swapped.
sagrsccr

Postby Thompson » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:18 am

This is the algorithm I use: M' U M' U' M U' M U2 M'

It is a very easy algorithm to memorize because I found it out intuitivly. Remember it as first doing an M', then you are just putting back the edges in the F2L that you messed up by doing the first M'. Then you can continue solving the cube like normal.

Thompson

Postby rubixcuber » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:33 pm

LOL i'm sorry, i didnt know there was a parity alg. Do they work on the 3x3?

rubixcuber

Postby sagrsccr » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:50 am

Why would it ever matter if it works on a 3x3? Considering parity is impossible, a parity alg is impossible.
sagrsccr

Postby Zacabeb » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:50 am

You can simulate it on a regular 3x3x3 by solving the layers around the adjacent centers on a single axis, basically attempting a hole-in-the-middle effect on four sides only with a 90° displacement (which is impossible). This will force a parity error in the last layer just like it happens on a void cube.

I think that's a good way to intuitively understand what actually causes the parity error to occur on the void cube and what resolving it actually does, since on the regular 3x3x3 you will see what happens to the centers. Also, you can more easily see how the diagonal and opposing parity errors are the same thing. [:)]

(Note that I'm a beginner and this is all I know about parity on the cube - I'm stumped when it comes to algs).
Zacabeb

Postby Zacabeb » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:56 am

Another thing occurred to me - if you don't know an algorithm for fixing parity, you don't need to start from scratch. You just need to turn the top layer 90° and move a piece of the middle layer out, and then back into its correct position and work your way around (effectively shifting all middle edges 90° around the virtual centers). Then you can solve the last layer as normal... I think.

Is my thinking right that there's actually a 50% chance a parity error will occur upon a solve?
Zacabeb

Postby Feralin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:43 am

Dudes, the parity of a puzzle is the number of pieces that need to be swapped to be solved. if the number is odd, parity is odd, and vice versa. i'm not exactly sure why the rubik's cube cannot have parity, but have you ever noticed that you cannot swap the centers from all three axis (blue with green, white with yelllow, red with orange). that's because then the parity would be odd (3 swaps = odd). on a void cube, you have no centers, so you can accidentally swap all three pairs of centers, leaving you with odd parity, which will show itself in the last step. i know all of this from solving the square-1, and Zacabeb, yes, there is a 50% chance of odd parity- 50% odd, 50% even.
Feralin

Postby jdiamond » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:07 pm

sagrsccr wrote:That algorithm is stupid...do this one instead: M U M Ui Mi Ui Mi 2U M

after that, use the alg to flip the 2 edges (which you should already know) and then parity is gone. Also, you are wrong...parity can also appear as 2 opposite edges switched. I'm not sure if 2 adjacent edges will be switched. The parity alg works by shifting the centers and messing with the top layer. However, since you dont have centers here, it only fixes parity and doesn't do anything to your cube.

EDIT: Just tried it and happened to get 2 adjacent edges swapped. So now i'm sure that 2 adjacent edges can be swapped.

I have a Rubik's Void with two opposite edges in the final layer with positions swapped (not flipped). I've tried your fix, but it ends up messing up the cube and not fixing the error, so maybe I'm not applying it right, or maybe you need different fixes for different states...

Can you describe your definition of M and Mi (no offense here, just that people do it different ways.)
Thanks,
- Jeff

ISSUE: Final layer all correct, but two opposite edges have positions swapped.
I have also had a void parity issue where two opposite edges are flipped, but the situation can't be undone by the standard final layer moves.
None of this happens on a normal cube, only on the void.
jdiamond

Next

Return to General Rubik's Discussion