Question about silicone spray.

Older threads and posts

Question about silicone spray.

Postby Krux » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:08 am

Alright I have a very stiff cube that was one of my siblings from like the 1980s-90s lol.  I already took sandpaper to it and I washed the mechanism with a huge gunk of liquid soap and it seemed to help a bit.  However, I want to be able to start speedcubing and take it seriously so I'd like to know if any of the silicone based sprays are harmful when dry.  I'm very leery of vaseline because I think I won't apply it right.  Plus with a cube like mine it might just corrode it.  All help is appreciated, thank you.
Krux

Re: Question about silicone spray.

Postby modaman » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:15 am

just use bicycle silocone based spray take it apart and apply thats what i did

modaman

Postby TimMc » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:22 pm

I wouldn't recommend sticking your fingers in your mouth or eyes after using a cube recently sprayed with silicone. I think it might be a really weak irritant at best.

There's a lot of food grade silicones that get the job done but they don't last that long. CRC 808 is a lot better, but once again, you don't want this stuff in your eyes.

It's also worth noting that you shouldn't be too libereral when spraying it. It should  be done in a well ventilated room or outside. Just like you wouldn't want to breath in deodorant, you wouldn't want to breath in silicone.

Tim.
TimMc

Postby darked90 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:47 pm

Jig-a-loo is the best out there, but it's VERY toxic and the fumes aren't too good for you..so use in a well ventilated area and make sure you use gloves..

you can also use cubelube..its safe and non toxic..maybe not edible, but it's not as bad as the rest..and does a REALLY good job at making your cube smooth..the only drawback is that it doesn't last as long..maybe a month or 2 at most..
darked90

Postby Krux » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:42 am

Thanks for the replies guys, and where do you buy this 'cubelube'?
Krux

Postby rubeu » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:33 am

At www.cubelube.com
rubeu

Postby anantjain » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:50 pm

Silicone spray works fine. However, vasline does corrode cubes, but if you leave it there for some time, it will make the cube very slightly smoother and looser after you clean it out. Then, you can spray it with silicone for the ultimate effect.
anantjain

Return to Rubik's Forum Archive