One side pattern only

Guidelines on moderating, posts, being banned, etc.

One side pattern only

Postby ganger » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:03 am

Hi Rubiks gurus!

I am looking to create a promotional gift of a 3x3 Rubik cube.  What I would like to do is to have only one side to be correct at any one time with a promo message/image.  On that basis, I accept that this will be an unresolvable cube, i.e. all sides correct at one time, but this is part of the promo message.

Simple question is what is the configuration of each tile's message/image in a form that I can get printed?  Or is this an unresolvable problem to start with?

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Ganger

ganger

Re: One side pattern only

Postby Lao Ying » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:03 am

Hi,

The type of cube you are referring to is called a 'picture cube', for which 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 faces are used to display some kind of useful information, eg. symbols, numbers, letters, pictures, etc...

Simplest (to design) picture cubes are those for which a single face out of 6 is considered, unused stickers being 'stored' on the other 5 faces, just waiting to be moved to the front face again, by using the appropriate algorithm.

A specific pattern is first drawn on a texture and as move restrictions do exist for cube pieces, these must be taken into account when designing the texture.

Examples of textures can be found here and an interactive animated picture cube is shown there.

I hope this may help.
Lao Ying

Postby ganger » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:57 am

Thanks for this.  I may need to digest first and then may have some more Qs.

Thanks
Ganger

ganger

Postby ganger » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:56 am

I understsand a bit more now thanks Lao.  Where do I go for a 2 face layout/solution?

Thanks
Ganger
ganger

Postby Lao Ying » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:54 am

Displaying easy to understand patterns on 2 sides is a little bit more tricky, because obviously there is now less choice in laying out stickers, as the facelet 'store' real estate has been reduced from 5 to 4 faces, or even less. But it is still possible to design attractive textures though, even for higher order cubes.

Let me give 3 examples:

The first one is a 4x4x4 animated (real time) Analog Clock Cube, for which both sides F and R have been used for displaying time: hours/minutes on face F and seconds on face R.

The second one is the Astro Cube on which comet Halley can visit any of  the 6 planets, where all 6 faces have been used.

The third one is the Maze Cube for which it has been demonstrated that 156 single-loop solutions passing by all 6 faces do exist.

As you can see, there is no unique solution or general design procedure. All textures have to be designed using a case by case approach, usually by trying out a number of solutions. Some tricks to build 'good' textures do exist, although not yet published.

And finally, even if an appropriate texture has been found, then remains the task of checking it against legal cube states by using a list of specific algorithms.

But maybe the design you already have in mind could be simple enough and could be developed in a more straightforward way...
Lao Ying

Postby ganger » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:05 am

Thanks again Lao.

Regards
Ganger
ganger

Return to Rubiks Forum Rules