TouchCube - How to Disassemble

General discussions and topics

TouchCube - How to Disassemble

Postby muzicman82 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:29 pm

OK, I know this might be a bit of a scary post. I have a TouchCube. It won't charge. It's been on the charger for 2 days and the light on the base is red. When I turn it on, it just beeps and flashes red a few times then shuts off. I've tried both level 1 and level 2 reset procedures. My next guess is the rechargeable battery is shot. I can probably replace it if I can figure out how to get the thing open.

Any ideas?
muzicman82

Re: TouchCube - How to Disassemble

Postby borginator2 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:53 pm

Ok, this is one of those questions, but I have to ask to get it out of the way...

You are sure it's on the stand the right way? My touch cube has 24 different ways to mount it on the stand, and only one way will charge the thing.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby muzicman82 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:53 pm

Yes, like I said, the red charge light is on. It doesn't come on unless it is on the stand correctly. It's supposed to turn green when done charging.
muzicman82

Postby borginator2 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:16 am

is it still under warantee?
borginator2

Postby muzicman82 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:23 am

Nope... I wish it were though... Over 15 months old.
muzicman82

Postby borginator2 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:26 am

D'oh! In that case, I'd contact the manufacturer and see if they can sell you a replacement battery and for what price. Even if it's too high, you might get the specs of what you need to replace it.
borginator2

Postby sander-afca12 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:20 pm

i just had to laugh when i saught the titel, i was thinking: WTF! :lol:
there is no place like home, when you got no place to go!
sander-afca12

Postby jabberosx » Thu May 26, 2011 8:41 pm

I am in the same boat.. Its not charging and I think the battery is shot. Any updates ? Does any one know how to open it ?

Btw, I wrote to the company that makes them and they say "It was a limited edition production run in 2009. We do not make it any more. Please return it if you just bought it for full refund"

Thats all i got it from them.
jabberosx

Postby carterpicker » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:07 am

I'm in the same boat, won't charge but flashes red. Got the same answer from the manufacturer as you did. Bought the cube off e-bay so I guess I got what I paid for. Did you find out how to open it? It's probably just a bad battery! :(
carterpicker

Postby SolitaryWolf » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:57 am

carterpicker wrote:I'm in the same boat, won't charge but flashes red. Got the same answer from the manufacturer as you did. Bought the cube off e-bay so I guess I got what I paid for. Did you find out how to open it? It's probably just a bad battery! :(

I recently found a few pictures someone took of it apart. They say they then chucked it into the garbage. I got mine apart last night. There are 8 (1/2 inch) pins along the lip of the seam (two per side) when you carefully separate it. I am still figuring out how they got them in there and sealed.

I removed all 8 pins (they can never be used again, I bent them), but the side came off. You will see four computer connectors holding it in place. Mark the outside of the cube (with masking tape) so you can put it back on correctly. Remove the connectors, remembering somehow which one goes where (I used a sharpie). Once the side is removed, you will see four screws holding down some of the electronics inside. Removed them and the black framed part. There is the battery. It is a AAA Ni-MH 4.8 volt 8mAh battery. I am still looking to see if my local electronics stores (it looks like a cordless phone battery) have them otherwise I will have to build one.

Until I am able to get the battery I wont know about its reassambly. I might either use hot glue or just a few strips of clear tape to seal it back together. The 8 pins are not easy to replace as far as I can tell.

When I get an unpdate, I'll post again

-Seth Williams
San Francisco, CA
USA
Seth Williams,
San Francisco, CA
USA
SolitaryWolf

Next

Return to General Rubik's Discussion