Lube questions

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

Lube questions

Postby skeletonboy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:43 am

Hello, I have 2 questions on lube:

1. Is there any other lube close to appropriate for a speedcube? (Except for Jig-a-loo)

2. How does Vaseline really effect the cube? Does it make it smoother or faster or even appropriate for a speedcube?

Thanks.
skeletonboy

Re: Lube questions

Postby Zeotor » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:13 pm

1. - Some lubricants are made just for speedcubing. One that probably lots of people consider the best is Lubix. There are also other stores, like the one on this website, that sell their own lubricants. The only one that I've tried is Lubix, and it worked well for me. 100% silicone spray is also one that is used for cubes.

2. - Vaseline will probably dissolve the plastic of the cube. This can help it turn smoother or faster after you first use it. However, it will eventually make the cube get worse. I wouldn't advise using it.

Before you lubricate a cube, it is better to use it for a while first. This will help smooth out any rough parts on the plastic. Also, it will help the puzzle turn better once it is lubricated. This is because you are applying the lubricant to smooth plastic instead of rough plastic.
Zeotor

Postby skeletonboy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:12 am

Are there any cheap household lubricants? Like I can't spend even the cent in pant pocket to buy something.

Thanks anyways.
skeletonboy

Postby Zeotor » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Silicone spray is the only thing that I can think of. Other things around the house could be used. However, I'm not sure if they would work or not, or if they would damage the puzzle.
Zeotor

Postby skeletonboy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:29 pm

Yeah, I have this lubricant lying around in my house, it says it lubricates metal, plastic, wood or rubber moving parts.
My friend lubed it for me currently, I might try this lube out later.

Thanks.
skeletonboy

Postby Sharkretriver » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:42 pm

I still suggest that you check to see whether it has any petroleum, if you haven't already.
And I haven't been posting since Zeotor answers posts for me I guess, not saying that's a bad thing.
-edited
Last edited by Sharkretriver on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby skeletonboy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:25 pm

But many lubricants don't have silicone at all, like the one I just mentioned for moving metal or plastic parts. Does a cube lubricant have to have 100% silicone?
skeletonboy

Postby Zeotor » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:41 pm

I think it's okay if it isn't 100% silicone. 100% silicone spray is a safe choice because sometimes lubricants will have other things in them that can damage the cube. Something that says it lubricates plastic, like what you have, will most likely not cause any problems.
Zeotor

Postby brynncubes » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:06 am

lubix for a seriously fast cube or CRC heavy duty silicone spray for a pretty fast cube.However, if you have vaseline, it is also a good lubricant because it melts pieces of the plastic giving it a very smooth feel.
Last edited by brynncubes on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
brynncubes

Postby Sharkretriver » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:01 pm

Vaseline for too long would probably damage the cube, but so will using too much of any lube
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Next

Return to Speedcubing