Solution involving solving opposite faces, except one edge

Discuss solutions, provide links to sites with solutions

Solution involving solving opposite faces, except one edge

Postby jackfrunk » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:52 am

Around 1983, when I was a kid, I learned a solution for the cube that involved solving all of one face except one edge piece, then the opposite face, except one edge piece, then fixing the remaining 6 edges.

I'm curious to re-learn how to do this. I remember what many of the basic moves accomplished but dont remember how to do them.

I've looked around and can't find this specific method. I got good times with it, usually in the mid 30 seconds, or 40 seconds or so.

Does anyone know what this method is and can help me find a link to it?

Thanks
jackfrunk

Re: Solution involving solving opposite faces, except one ed

Postby Sharkretriver » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:37 pm

lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby Zeotor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:01 pm

I don't think that it's either of those methods, Sharkretriver. According to those pages, those methods were proposed in 2007 and 2003. On another page on the Speedsolving Wiki, it shows the Waterman method being proposed in 1982. Also the steps are similar to what jackfrunk described.

This page has a simplified version of the Waterman method. It's "Solving Edges" page has these steps.
Solve three edges on the left.
Solve four edges on the right.
Solve the last edge on the left.
Flip the edges in the middle.
Place the edges in the middle.

This page shows the original booklet with the full solution. Maybe it looks familiar. On that same website, it has the booklet's solution rewritten.

I hope this helps.
Zeotor

Postby jackfrunk » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:51 am

Zeotor,

Yes I think it is a variant of what you posted, or perhaps exactly the same.

For this part they write:

Two top midges flipped:
M'UM'UM'UUMUMUMUU

This sequence is so symmetrical and easy to remember that it is hard to forget after you learn it (I have read long time ago that Rubik himself found this sequence, not sure if it is true or not).

YES!! I remember that very clearly. It was one of my favorite sequences, so symmetrical and easy to remember. This was in 1981 that I was doing this actually, so 31 years ago, and I do remember this sequence pretty clearly. I can imagine myself 31 years ago flipping through these moves, it was such a clear and simple pattern, I liked it.

The book I read it in was a glossy color booklet, pages were standard 8.5 x 11 inch, fairly short book, maybe 12 pages.

This is basically the technique I used to use, I have to read through it all to see if it's 100% the same or not, but looks basically right. Leaving out one of the edges, twisting the corners, then finally solving the middle edges, this is how I used to do it.

I was 10 years old at the time and had solve times in mid 30 seconds to low 40s which I thought was good.

I'm going to review this and try to remember. Thanks for the link!
jackfrunk

Postby Zeotor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:44 am

jackfrunk wrote:The book I read it in was a glossy color booklet, pages were standard 8.5 x 11 inch, fairly short book, maybe 12 pages.

Was it one of these?
Image Image
The first one is similar to this solution. On that page, there is this.
Note that this solution was popularized by Minh Thai, the National Champion cube solver whose record Time in late 1981 was 26.04 seconds (he was on the TV show "That's Incredible"). He went on to publish a booklet entitled "The Winning Solution" (1982), talking about his method for solving the cube, a "corners first" approach, based on the solution presented by Ideal Toy Company (The Ideal Solution, 1980), the book which I believe I learned this solution from.

This is confirmed by this page, which has a comparison of some older methods. The following is from that page.
Minh Thai (The Winning Solution, 1982) places all of the corner pieces before any of the edge pieces. His method appears to be descended from the solution presented by Ideal Toy Company (The Ideal Solution, 1980). In the latter, one places the corner pieces of the first face and then three edge pieces on the first face. This is followed by placing the four corner pieces of the second face and then orienting those pieces. Minh Thai puts in edge pieces only after placing all corner pieces. But he places three edge pieces in the first face and then three edge pieces in the second face in proper position/orientation using the same basic approach. The final two edge pieces (face 1 and face 2) are placed simultaneously. Both approaches complete the cube by orienting the middle edge pieces and then correctly placing them.

I searched on Google, and I didn't see either of the two solutions as they originally were.
Zeotor

Postby jackfrunk » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:32 am

Im pretty sure it was the "Ideal solution" book.

It was a good solution for 1981, I think, my times weren't 26 seconds like his was, but generally in the 30s to low 40s at most
jackfrunk

Return to Solutions