"Examining" cubes before solving them

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

"Examining" cubes before solving them

Postby jackfrunk » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi, I used to solve rubik's cubes when I was 10 years old.... had a lot of fun. Learned how to do it from a book. My average time was about 40 seconds or so.

I've noticed that in speedcubing competitions these days, the contestants have time to "examine" the cube before starting the round. May I submit that this is bogus? When I solved a cube in 37 or 40 or 42, etc., seconds, as a kid, that meant from the time someone passed a cube to me to the time it was solved was exactly that number of seconds.

Clearly, time spend examining the cube and figuring out what approach you're going to take in solving it should count towards the total solution time. To not count it is as though this time didn't matter. If it doesnt matter, then why do they need to "examine" the cube first?

The cubes should be scrambled and placed under a cover or sheet of some kind. At the start signal, the solvers should remove the covers and being "examining" and then solving.
jackfrunk

Re: "Examining" cubes before solving them

Postby Zeotor » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:02 pm

I also think that the examining time, called inspection, should count for the total time. With inspection, competitors get up to fifteen seconds to look at the puzzle and start the solve. There is probably some reason why the official rules let people do this though.

When I solve cubes, I don't use inspection, though I will in the future. My solve times are around thirty-five to forty seconds, with my best time being 24.86. If world record level solvers, such as Feliks Zemdegs, were to solve without inspection, they could probably still get times below ten seconds.
Zeotor

Re: "Examining" cubes before solving them

Postby jackfrunk » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:47 am

Now with the record solve times below 10 seconds it becomes even more important to include the "inspection" time in the total count. If the "inspection" time is 15 seconds and the solve time is 6 seconds, this is very misleading. It shouldnt be a contest of how quickly you can move your fingers. To sort out who is truly fastest with the "solve" times this low, it is necessary to finally stop allowing this freebie "inspection" period. My times as a kid were similar to yours, without inspection. I just picked up a cube again for the first time in decades as a relative wants to learn how to do it and asked me to help. I re-learned my old solution but it still takes me about 2 minutes now to solve it. I'm way out of practice.
jackfrunk

Return to Speedcubing