Speedcubing and Piano

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

Re: Speedcubing and Piano

Postby Zeotor » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:09 pm

speedcuber50 wrote:Can speedcubing affect piano playing and if so, how?

I think that they might affect each other. If you were to solve a cube so much that your hands got tired, that could make your hands too tired to properly play the piano. I'm not sure though. This is because cubing and playing the piano most likely used different muscles. I'm also not sure because I've never done both activities around the same time.

However, if they do affect each other that way, then it makes sense that cubing could strengthen the muscles used for piano playing.
Zeotor

Postby Zeotor » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:06 pm

I think in that area, they would not be related. This is because the way the hands are used is different.
Zeotor

Postby Sharkretriver » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:07 pm

I am sub-20 on Rubik's cube and I'm somewhat experienced violin and amateur Piano.
I use CFOP 3LLL so I had to memorize about 40 algs.
Muscle memory helps a heck lot. I memorized some of my ARCT violin pieces a few weeks after...it's supposed to take months.
Now about tripping on fingers...as Zeo said the way the muscles are used are different. Maybe it can help with staccato for all I know.

Off-topic:
If you do trip on a piece while practicing then play that section slowly first then speed up.
As well as muscle memory, "shortcut" memory, or memorizing by simplification, works too. For example, I know the second-last chord is a dominant chord so I can probably get it down fast.
You can't forget visual memory.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Return to Speedcubing